HR Deville - Relay chatter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HR Deville - Relay chatter

I got a strange one here. About 50 % of the time when either the channel switching or drive/more drive switches are engaged from the footswitch the relay/lights will chatter a quick, single time before engaging (close - open -close). Interestingly, it appears to only do it with the footswitch (unfortunately I don't have another footswitch handy). Going through the test voltages and test sequence on the schematic, everything is correct. Looking at the 16v dropping resistors and everything looks good.. no burned traces or cold joints (yet). Customer brought me the right footswitch but with a TRS cable. Swapping the cable over to a TS guitar cable didn't make a difference. Examining the internals of the footswitch didn't bare any findings, all connections look good here. One thing I did notice is that in normal mode the footswitch will change colors on the drive/more drive setting but it is not replicated on the amp. I am not familiar enough with the amp to know if it is supposed to but if memory serves me there is not a drive/more drive setting in normal mode and this is likely just an oddity of the footswitch circuit.. Any thoughts/experiences/advice with this? I am leaning toward either a flaky 4560 or Q3.

How old is this amp? The early ones had a relay chatter problem that was covered in a TSB. A resistor change IIRC.

Comment

Amp circuit board says 2002 but footswitch is a 1996 model.

Comment

Well... I think I got it. I was able to dribble some deoxit into the carling switches for the footswitch and it appears to have cleared up. Good deal.

Comment

Working...
        X