happy New Year, I'm an idiot.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• happy New Year, I'm an idiot.

So I am working on a big ole Tube Works combo today. It had been sitting in a garage for 10 years, and every control was noisy, and both input jacks were in need of replacement. I replaced the jacks, no problem, and I must have used a 1/4 of a can of DeOxit battling with these dirty pots. I eventually got there, but the master volume pot just would not quiet down, so I decided to replace it. I pull all the 14 knobs, nuts and washers, release the heatsink, and pull the board. I had a B10K pot on hand, but it wasn't stepped like all the others, it was just plain vanilla smooth. One small issue was the originals have longer legs, so I had to add extensions to the legs using component leads to get it to sit at the right height. This took a while, but when I was satisfied I installed it and wrestled the board back into the chassis, and put a few nuts on some pots to fire it up to try it before completing the job. When I turned it on, I noticed the new pot had steps just like... Wait a minute! Yup, I modified and reinstalled the bad one! Moron. So I pulled the board again and had to do the whole thing all over again. Damn I felt like an idiot.

How's your New Year going so far?
    It's weird, because it WAS working fine.....

I just replaced 1MA and 100KC pots on a Marshall. I fitted the new 100KC in the 1MA slot and the old 1MA in the 100KC slot. So, I'm an idiot too.
    Experience is something you get, just after you really needed it.

Comment

Happy 2120, it's all backwards now.
      Originally posted by Enzo
      I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Originally posted by Randall View Post
        So I am working on a big ole Tube Works combo today. - - - Damn I felt like an idiot.

How's your New Year going so far?
        Yeh, Tube Works stuff I avoid like the plague. Never a simple fix. And those dad-blasted "stepped" pots =

New Years going great. So far haven't worked on anything yet. Except dinner, a heaping helping of New Years Day traditional Hoppin' John, but that's a subject for "What's For Dinner."

This isn't the future I signed up for.

Comment

Thanks for the laugh, fellers!

I'm in the middle of laying out a JCM800 in Illustrator, so all my stupid errors are easily corrected.
          --
          I build and repair guitar amps
          http://amps.monkeymatic.com

Comment

Years ago, one of my techs was working on a brand new Digitech DSP guitar processor (first one we had seen) with a weird fault. After hours of fault finding, he came to the conclusion that the DSP was faulty, and so he carefully desoldered the hundreds of legs, and removed it.

At this point, one of the higher company managers, wanting to impress a customer, called him away from the bench to answer some questions by a complete moron.

Two hours later, he came back, grabbed the DSP laid on the chassis, inserted it and soldered in the hundreds of legs.

On switching it on, he had exactly the same fault. He spent a great many hours checking the peripheral circuitry, only to come to the conclusion that it was the DSP.

A minute later, the penny dropped. After the frustrating two hour telephone call, which could have been answered by one of the floor sweepers, he had put the faulty DSP back in.

Comment

Finally had someone gonna take an old Crate amp off my hands. Was doing a final test and the same problem I thought I had fixed came back. Oh well.

Comment

Been there, done that to all of the above.

We're only human.

Comment

Originally posted by drewl View Post
                  Been there, done that to all of the above.

We're only human.
                  But humble for voicing it out loud.
                  nosaj
                  soldering stuff that's broken, breaking stuff that works, Yeah!

Comment

Guy has a Big Muff Bass Pi pedal with a broken toggle switch.
                    I spent a good part of an hour trying to locate this super mini pcb mount switch.
                    Found it, ordered it, installed it.
                    Then I looked at the front panel: Dry, Normal (off to the left) Bass Boost.
                    I had missed the Normal part and ordered a DP On/None/On switch.
                    oops.
                    Should be On/Off/On.

Duh.
                    Happy New Year.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Yup, got a bag of those AND a bag of momentary switches ordered by mistake/stupidity.

At least the mini toggles I occasionally have a use for.

Comment

The NKK datasheet has parentheses around certain switch positions.
                        I had to look to see what That meant.
                        Momentary.

Comment

Working...
                        X