Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Two peavey 6505 heads

Hello.

A friend of mine brought me two peavey 6505 heads.
    They are exactly the same and both had some bad connection issues.

The difference is that one amplifier has more gain and headroom than the other.
    I have followed the signal and noticed that it is almost equal until it reaches the power amp board.

I have swapped the tubes and the louder amplifier remains louder.

Could it be related to the fact that the plate voltages have a difference of 35V?

The 6505 in Europe have a selector for 220 / 240V. In Spain we have 230V and with the amplifier set to 220V, 500V appears on the 6L6 plates. Set to 240V, 465V appears.
    At 500 volts the sound has more tension and greater dynamics. I adjust them depending on the style that is played. I imagine the difference in power is not very relevant, but its musical effect is there.

Comment

Is the signal coming out of the phase inverter about equal between the two amps?

I'd check the component readings on the two power boards with the power tubes pulled and no voltage applied. See if there is any obvious difference, or if one of the power amp boards has been modified.

Has the bias circuit been tweaked for either one? A common mod is to make the bias adjustable.

Comment

Originally posted by Pedro Vecino View Post
        The 6505 in Europe have a selector for 220 / 240V. In Spain we have 230V and with the amplifier set to 220V, 500V appears on the 6L6 plates. Set to 240V, 465V appears.
        At 500 volts the sound has more tension and greater dynamics. I adjust them depending on the style that is played. I imagine the difference in power is not very relevant, but its musical effect is there.
        Here is 230V too. I have checked and both are selected to 220V.

Is the signal coming out of the phase inverter about equal between the two amps?

I'd check the component readings on the two power boards with the power tubes pulled and no voltage applied. See if there is any obvious difference, or if one of the power amp boards has been modified.

Has the bias circuit been tweaked for either one? A common mod is to make the bias adjustable.
        The amplifier has no modifications and the signal out of the PI are identical.
        I have checked the amp pcb and it has no problems.

Comment

Please confirm that the power tubes' screen and grid resistors are in good shape on the amp with lower output. Also make sure the FX loop is not causing a drop in volume (insert a short jumper cable from FX send to FX return).
          --
          I build and repair guitar amps
          http://amps.monkeymatic.com

Comment

Originally posted by xtian View Post
            Please confirm that the power tubes' screen and grid resistors are in good shape on the amp with lower output. Also make sure the FX loop is not causing a drop in volume (insert a short jumper cable from FX send to FX return).
            Everything mentioned above is fine. I double check it.

Comment

For both amps, what are the DC power supply voltages at plate, screen, and V3+, V2+, V1+ as shown on sheet 2 in the power supply section?

Comment

Originally posted by Delta362 View Post
                For both amps, what are the DC power supply voltages at plate, screen, and V3+, V2+, V1+ as shown on sheet 2 in the power supply section?
                Low power amp:

373AC
                Plate: 470V
                Screen: 466V
                V3: 430V
                V2: 306V
                V1: 289V

The other has:

377AC
                Plate: 505V
                Screen: 499V
                V3: 461V
                V2: 329V
                V1: 312V

I have noticed on the scope, that the output of the phase inverter, in the low power amp,
                has a lot more gain, 50V rms compared with 30V rms of the other one.

Comment

First, "The amplifier has no modifications and the signal out of the PI are identical."

Then, "I have noticed on the scope, that the output of the phase inverter, in the low power amp,
                  has a lot more gain, 50V rms compared with 30V rms of the other one"

Which is correct? If the latter, I'd be comparing voltages on the PI tubes. Either that, or I'm not understanding those statements correctly.
                  "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

Originally posted by The Dude View Post

Which is correct? If the latter, I'd be comparing voltages on the PI tubes. Either that, or I'm not understanding those statements correctly.

Both of those statements are correct, only made at different times.

The latter statement was verified yesterday. The volume now is lower and more distorted than before.

Comment

On the weak one, pull the little mute JFET and see if it improves.
                      Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Hello Enzo,

The voltage was falling a lot with the signal.

I have removed the main pcb and I found that track burnt.

It's the track on one filter cap.

It's going to be very hard to remove that completely.
                        Attached Files

Comment

I would take a dremel to it and carve out all of the carbon impregnated board material. Then use either wire or clipped leads from components to rebuild traces where they need to go.

Comment

Working...
                          X