Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ampeg B15 Hum issue

Hello again
    I Have an issue with hum when i turn up the volumes on both channels on this amp, but when i turn the volumes down its quite

It is much to much for this amp if I can get the picture uploaded you will see what I'm talking about

This is B15N 110v, All original and in poor state, so i replaced all the caps and as 2 of the 3 6SL7 were rattling , i replaced those and fitted new power tubes, Customer is thinking about a rewind of the Power tx

Replaced 40-40-40uf for 50-50uf 500v and an additional 47uf - Grounded to the same point( Cap Clamp mount )
    Replaced 30uf 500v ground to original ground location
    Replaced 22uf 25v
    Replaced bias caps
    All new tubes 3 x 6SL7 ( JJ), 2 x 6L6( TAD) , Gz34(JJ)
    Tried to fit extra caps - no change
    Hum balance working
    Cleaned pots and switches

Ac 117v
    Heaters 6.1v
    V1 Pin2 200v V1 Pin5 192v cathode 2.5v
    V2 Pin2 200v V2 Pin5 183v
    V3 Pin2 285v V3 Pin5 278v
    V1-V2 supply 410v
    Pi supply 415v
    power tubes anodes 473v
    Adjust the hum balance and with the volumes down you can get it silent
    Bias is ok at 35ma per tube

Amp is working except for this excessive HUM when you turn up volumes

I have a picture of the scope But i can't seem to get it up loaded today nor can i get the schematic diagram up
    I will tried to upload via my phone

Last edited by Arbutt; 02-25-2021, 03:55 PM.

Won't let me upload or insert a picture

Comment

Try a shorted jack plug in each input in turn.Is the hum reduced?

Comment

Thanks dave h. It's not the input Jack's. I've tried all that. It's really annoying as I can't seem to upload the scope picture. A

Comment

If the amp is quiet with volumes turned down, I wouldn't be looking at the output section or power supply. It must be something in front of the volume controls.
          "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

Yes with the pi tube out its OK quite. I can can see the problem with the output from v2 - v1. I guess it's back to it tomorrow

Comment

Finally got to get this to upload This the the wave form I'm getting with the vol up full on pin 2 of v1 or v2.
              Many thanks
              Arbutt
              ​​​​​​

Comment

I have checked today. Now my thinking is it has to be related to psu as its the same on both channels
                I can see this waveform on pin 5 v1 or pin 5 v2.
                When I scope the other side of anode resistors it's good.
                Too be sure I disconnected the heaters and hum then I wired up my test 6.3v heater tx with ct. No difference.
                Decided to bypass the tone/vol no change
                ​​​​​Click image for larger version

Name:	ampeg_b15n_schematic.gif
Views:	284
Size:	42.6 KB
ID:	925282
                If anyone has any ideas
                I would be grateful

Comment

Originally posted by Arbutt View Post
                  Finally got to get this to upload This the the wave form I'm getting with the vol up full on pin 2 of v1 or v2.
                  Many thanks
                  Arbutt
                  ​​​​​​
                  Sorry, can't positively read scope settings. Do you use a 1:1 or a 10:1 probe? What is the hum frequency 50Hz or 100Hz?

What happens to hum if you short input tube grids (pins 4) to ground?

Quite = quiet?
                  Last edited by Helmholtz; 02-26-2021, 09:09 PM.
                  - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

Hi helm it's 1:1 probe. I can remember shorting the 2 resistors( 270k) into the pi tube to ground. Went all quite. But I will check tomorrow
                    Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Arbutt View Post
                      Hi helm it's 1:1 probe. I can remember shorting the 2 resistors( 270k) into the pi tube to ground. Went all quite. But I will check tomorrow
                      Thanks
                      Again, do you mean quiet?

I meant the input triodes, not the PI.
                      - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

Originally posted by Helmholtz View Post
                        ......What happens to hum if you short input tube grids (pins 4) to ground?......
                        ^^^^^^Yes, that. You said in post #1 that turning the volumes down eliminates the hum. The volume controls are just after the first gain stage of each channel, so the problem must be in the first gain stages.

Comment

Hi dude. I will have to check but I think I can see it on the first stage . I don't know if this has any relevance. But if I scope the output of say v1 and adjust the hum balance it changes the sine wave in the picture, but if my memory serves me correctly it don't change the level of the hum. I have also tried another humdinger 470r pot to ground. Which made no difference
                          Just want to say that the hum is excessive.
                          I will try and post up pictures tomorrow

Thanks again. For all the help. You are slowly teaching this old dog new tricks

Comment

Also, check that the hum balance pot is good. I've seen them burnt up, particularly in Ampeg amps. If the pot is bad, you can just use a couple of 100 ohm resistors like the typical Fender circuit.

Comment

Originally posted by Helmholtz View Post

Again, do you mean quiet?

I meant the input triodes, not the PI.
                              morning
                              tested this morning if i ground pin 4 no change, but when i ground pin 1 hum goes, this is with the volumes up
                              I have previously swapped out the decouplin caps and as no difference was made original caps put back
                              the resistors were replaced on v1
                              it is being created by the first stage as i can see it on pin 5
                              Last edited by Arbutt; 02-27-2021, 10:21 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X