Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gibson Ga-15rvt - what is this capacitor?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I also change the Nashville caps as is done on solid state Thomas Vox amps.
    but they all seem to measure fine from these amps, but fail in the Vox amps, weird.

Comment

Originally posted by drewl View Post
      I also change the Nashville caps as is done on solid state Thomas Vox amps.
      but they all seem to measure fine from these amps, but fail in the Vox amps, weird.
      Although I'm not much in favor of paralleling caps to prop up a failing power supply, I find it's instructive when suspecting cathode bypass caps to clip in a parallel. If the gain goes up and the bass broadens out, then the old cap is definitely a goner. In any case, "don't trust any one over 50 years old," advice from some wag back in the 60's. Oops, now that I recall a little better, Bob Dylan was reported to have said it, and he mentioned 30 years old... well it applies to electrolytic caps. Who knew?
      This isn't the future I signed up for.

Comment

Well amp is up and running , replaced the filter caps and cord and now sounds great. Still has stock ultrasonic cts alnico but kinda like the sound albeit weak on bass. Still need to do smaller Nashville caps....I like the amp! Thanks for all the help and insights...you helped me a lot! May get extension cabinet with a more modern speaker, amp powers both the internal and external speakers at same time which is nice

Comment

Working...
        X