Identify this vintage Jensen!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Identify this vintage Jensen!

Have the Jensen in an old stereo console.,..are they good for a guitar amp? I think they are from 1960. Marked 220036 C6878 on basket. Back of cone has 3012811-h4
    Jensen special design with blue sticker

Any help appreciated!

Originally posted by Danoblaster View Post
    .are they good for a guitar amp?
    Probably good for guitar. Some Jensens in hi fi's were "specials", say with a limited hi frequency response, in systems that used tweeters as well. Only real way to tell, give 'em a play.

This isn't the future I signed up for.

Comment

I snagged a pair of 12" Jensen Alnico's from a Lowry organ neighbors threw out years ago, they sound great!

Ripped the chassis out and got several parts for repairs too.

Comment

And good for guitar only means one thing...does it sound good TO YOU when used for guitar.
        Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Just be careful of the wattage that you push through them!
          Most from that era where good for 30 watts Max.

Comment

Perception of consumer grade hi-fi has changed a lot over the years. I used to hear the phrase 'beautiful tone' when I was a kid but listening to the same equipment these days makes me think that it's lacking in upper mids and highs for playback of recorded music, but maybe good for guitar. The Bird Golden Eagle combo used three elliptical speakers that were used in TVs and hi-fi around the late 50s and these sound pretty good.

Comment

PICTURES????
              Front/side/back, showing magnet.
              Your codes only confirm itīs Jensen (220) but little else.
              Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Originally posted by J M Fahey View Post
                PICTURES????
                Front/side/back, showing magnet.
                Your codes only confirm itīs Jensen (220) but little else.
                This ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Jensen made them however you wanted 'em. So many model numbers that it's hard to know much about whater didn't go into a Fender amp (I guess?). I pulled a really cool P12R with a not standard convex cone (like a brass wind horn) from an old phonograph that I've never got around to trying. I'm pretty sure it's designed for improved stiffness and LF as there was also a tweeter in the cabinet. So... Like Enzo said, if you like it then it's good. Like Pete said, pay attention to wattage and know that the old adhesives didn't get better with age. And like Juan said, there's no good way to know if it's a "full range" speaker just by the numbers, unless they are known numbers.

I will say that many old console speakers ARE "full range" from the golden age and DO have the right frequency response for guitar amps, though many lack modern efficiency standards (that can actually be a good thing for some reasons). So, regardless of what exactly it is, it's worth a listen. At least.

"Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
                You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Working...
                X