No announcement yet.

Vox ac15tb > ok with a 16ohm spkr?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here's a gut shot of a late 90's AC15TB. Clearly only two secondary leads. As Pete noted, it could be that the 16 ohm lead is cut off under the bell covers. Maybe it's just a manufacturers asset for specific amp/cabinet options. At any rate it doesn't seem to be an easily accessible option for the amp owner.

Click image for larger version  Name:	ac15tb.PNG Views:	0 Size:	468.5 KB ID:	927788
    "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
    You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Originally posted by g1 View Post
      Here is a photo, and it appears there is only the 2 secondary wires you mentioned, so no other tap than the one in use.
      As you say, if he is not pushing the volume, it should be fine to use the 16 ohm speaker.

Click image for larger version

Name:	TX8.jpg?itok=zEKWKQDh.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	6.7 KB
ID:	927782
      Thats some good detective work g1- cheers/ yes indeed I took the amp out & there were no extra wires not even visible under cover. So that schematic is a bit misleading then.

Ok so as to resale value, I guess putting in the 16ohm instead will detract from it's value?

Comment

Chuck H useful guts shot- appreciated Chuck/ not seen that one either.. yi guys sure know how to sniff things out! I think you were bloodhounds in a past life.

I was considering the idea of modifying it so that pic is very useful: there's a "tonemanmod" involving adding a choke + possibly another few minor additions. Here you see they can command a very good price: https://reverb.com/item/146465-90s-v...agnetics-ac-15

Comment

Originally posted by Sea Chief View Post

So that schematic is a bit misleading then.
          That is because it is a Chinesium Vox, made by Korg.
          It is what it is but as I said in my first post, no components will be harmed using a 16 Ohm speaker at reasonable volume levels.
          Support for Fender, Laney, Marshall, Mesa, VOX and many more. https://jonsnell.co.uk
          If you can't fix it, I probably can.

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Snell View Post

It is what it is but as I said in my first post, no components will be harmed using a 16 Ohm speaker at reasonable volume levels.
            No its made by marshall in UK, the schematic is correct for my amp. You're correct that the ac30 tbx etc were made by korg, but in UK 90's. Its the much later reissues ..CC1 types that are chinesium.

Comment

Here’s some info regarding this model http://www.voxshowroom.com/uk/amp/15tbx_hood.html
              ie Marshall got the contract to design and build this era of Vox valve amps.
              My band:- http://www.youtube.com/user/RedwingBand

Comment

Which model AC15

http://www.voxshowroom.com/uk/amp/bedrock_ac15tb.html
                OR

http://www.voxshowroom.com/uk/amp/ac15tbx.html
                OR

http://www.voxshowroom.com/uk/amp/ac15cc1.html
                It's All Over Now

Comment

I stand corrected. It is the solid state newer amplifiers that I stay away from.
                  Support for Fender, Laney, Marshall, Mesa, VOX and many more. https://jonsnell.co.uk
                  If you can't fix it, I probably can.

Comment

I stand corrected. It is the solid state newer amplifiers that I stay away from.
                    No its not solid state, it's all tube including rectifier- but nevermind thanks for your help anyway.

I do have a few gremlins I need to tackle before selling, maybe I can do a separate thread.

Comment

Actually this likely means you are not referring to my amp by 'it'.. ambiguity in action. thx

Comment

Originally posted by Sea Chief View Post
                        Ok so as to resale value, I guess putting in the 16ohm instead will detract from it's value?
                        Yes, but so will any mods whatsoever.

Originally posted by Enzo
                        I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Originally posted by g1 View Post
                          Yes, but so will any mods whatsoever.
                          Id think if I put in a MM xfmr, MM axiom choke (as is the 'tonemod' idea with this circuit) it would surely do so wouldn't you think tho? I was toying with the idea of adding just the choke you see.

A 5Y3, 2x el84, plus the added 12ax7 as 'top boost' is surely one fine 15w amp recipe, & folks say it has great sag & gain tone cranked: trouble is I can never hear it/ never heard it: so I think now little point me owning it tbh it just sits looking pretty- it's better used properly by someone.

Considering an attenuator as a last gasp.. but maybe this will still be too loud, plus might sap the 'goodies' tonewise.

Comment

The Celestion alnico blue

https://www.voxac30.org.uk/vox_ac30_celestion_blue.html
                            It's All Over Now

Comment

Well since this is a reissue model and not the more venerable original I don't think you're going to detriment value much with a MM transformer. And anyway, you can always save the original for reinstallation if it makes any difference. If you don't mind the expense and you want a 16 ohm tap there is no other option.

And I don't understand the attenuator option being raised.?. If you're inclined to run a 16 ohm speaker on an 8 ohm secondary it's already been suggested that you don't run the amp too hard. So I don't see how that helps. Unless you were considering an 8 ohm attenuator with the 16 ohm speaker plugged into it? And that still wouldn't help much unless you were operating with a very high degree of attenuation.
                              "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
                              You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck H View Post
                                Well since this is a reissue model and not the more venerable original I don't think you're going to detriment value much with a MM transformer. And anyway, you can always save the original for reinstallation if it makes any difference. If you don't mind the expense and you want a 16 ohm tap there is no other option.

And I don't understand the attenuator option being raised.?. If you're inclined to run a 16 ohm speaker on an 8 ohm secondary it's already been suggested that you don't run the amp too hard. So I don't see how that helps. Unless you were considering an 8 ohm attenuator with the 16 ohm speaker plugged into it? And that still wouldn't help much unless you were operating with a very high degree of attenuation.
                                No I wasn't considering a different OT Chuck. The only mod for this amp is called the 'tonemod' involving replacing the mains xfmr with a MM, adding a MM axiom choke. I should imagine if I did this (leaving the vox blue 8ohm in) it surely would add value.. but might not be worth the expense to mod it purely to sell: it might be much effort, just to break even.

On a separate avenue I was considering an attenuator, leaving amp as it is with the 8ohm in, but I've no idea about them. IE will I still have to have an extremely loud amp to be able to get into the 'compression/ sag' goodies? eg will it need to go about 3/4 of the volume to achieve this? or, will it attenuate really well & I need only go say 1/4 the volume to achieve the goodies?

IE is an attenuator only partially effective (still needing significant volume produced to be able to dig into the goodies), or is it highly effective (only needing a bit of volume)? As el84 tubes seem to be less expensive & an abundence of them, maybe if I could get an attenuator situation sorted out, I need not worry too much about cranking the amp if it just means getting through a few pairs of el84's every few yrs.

I think there's a gap in the market for hiring out pedals.. £5 a weekend or something. Then I could conceivably try an attenuator.

Comment

Working...
                                X