Fender Rhodes Power Amp switch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fender Rhodes Power Amp switch

Hey y’all. I have a fender Rhodes power amp which I changed the switch on a couple of weeks ago. Got a replacement from vintage vibe. For some reason the switch doesn’t hold in the “on” position anymore. I’m kind of confused how this happens. Is it possible that there’s arcing internally that’s melting the plastic switch rocker? How can I test this theory? And what kind of failure would be causing it?

It physically will not stay in the on position? Or it stays there but stops passing AC power?

It does not matter what failed inside the switch. It is defective. You just bought the switch. If it were mine, I'd contact the seller and tell them their new switch failed.

Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Originally posted by Enzo View Post
      It physically will not stay in the on position? Or it stays there but stops passing AC power?

It does not matter what failed inside the switch. It is defective. You just bought the switch. If it were mine, I'd contact the seller and tell them their new switch failed.
      it physically will not stay in the on position. The thing is, this is why I replaced the original switch in the first place, and now it has happened on this new one. It makes me think that there’s something I’m not considering here. I have never seen fault conditions affect a switch like this

Comment

Mechanical fault. How old was the first switch, was it original? That is had it lasted decades?

Could be coincidence. COuld be something environmental. ANy chance for example you have recently been transporting it? Or changed the way you transport it? Like something is now banging against the switch in the gear trailer?
        Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

The first switch was definitely original, the new one was brought to me by the customer. He bought it from vintage vibe. It was a carling DPDT, I guess it didn’t feel great before I installed it but then afterwards it almost immediately wouldn’t hold in the on position. When it was brought to me I was told that the switch was acting weird, it definitely arced when I flipped the original one on, but figured it was a faulty switch. Nothing like that since installing the new one but it basically doesn’t work now. I’m gonna try one more but wanted to see if anyone had any ideas that I wasn’t considering. Arcing potentially being one of them that wasn’t related to the switch.

Enzo, I don’t think this Rhodes is transported at all. It lives in a studio in town.

Comment

OK, well just looking for what might damage a switch.

ANy chance the switch is distorted in the hole? If you pop the new switch back out, will it then switch holding it in your hand? Or is it just screwed now?

Comment

Sorry for never replying to this thread. Vintage vibe ended up sending us a new switch that works great. Maybe it was really just a bad switch... I was racking my brain on this one for no reason. Thanks for your help as always!

Comment

Working...
              X