Newer JCM 800 (w/ factory effects loop?) wiring question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newer JCM 800 (w/ factory effects loop?) wiring question

I have an ST1 Marshall board (NOT a complete amp) which I think was used in the later 'vertical input' JCM800 models (just before the PCB mounted pots and jacks versions). I have not been able to locate a schematic for it. (I found lots of generic/older JCM800 schemos.) Most of it is 'self evident' but I have one question - in the middle of the board on the pot side there are three brown wires. One goes to the Presence control, one (might) go the effects loop board, and one I have no idea. All three are hooked into the 'lower' end of the PI circuit; two are obvious (presence control, ground) but one connects to the 10k/4k7 resistor junction -- the PI AC bypass cap and the NFB resistor that goes to the OT also connect here. Does anyone know what else might be connected to this node?

https://mhuss.com/MyJCM/JCM800_2204.pdf
    Attached Files

The amp must be a 2203 reissue. Those cables must go to the loop input, the presence potentiometer and the one connected to the 4K7 resistor should be connected to the ground bus.

EDIT: to the loop output. The input to the loop is taken from the center pin of the master volume.
    Last edited by Pedro Vecino; 03-31-2021, 09:11 PM.

Comment

Thanks; reissue makes sense, as I'm pretty sure they weren't doing effects loops in the early 80s.

Those two (presence pot and bottom 4k7 going to ground) make sense, but I can't figure out why that node would go the the loop. With the presence pot at the zero ohm setting the signal at that node would be somewhat high-passed with 100n to ground (~150hz?).

Comment

To avoid misinterpretation, can you post an edited schematic showing where each wire connects?
        - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

The presence cap and pot are reversed, but functionally the same.
          Attached Files

Comment

The first 2 wires from the left might both be ground wires connecting to the ground bus at the pots. The third wire I don't understand but I agree that it makes no sense to use this node as effects return.
            Are you sure the rest of the schematic is correct?

Unfortunately the picture is not very clear and I can only recognize a brown wire that goes to the presence pot.
            - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

OK, I'm a dummy. The node I was going on about is not connected! See attached. (The third brown wire is the return from the loop, going into the PI)

Thanks for the responses.
              Attached Files

Comment

(Added missing attachments)

Comment

Attaching complete 2203 re-issue schematic for reference.
                  Attached Files
                  Originally posted by Enzo
                  I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

I could have sworn I saw your upload, but it seems to have disappeared.

Comment

Originally posted by mhuss View Post
                      I could have sworn I saw your upload, but it seems to have disappeared.
                      Check your settings for the issue mentioned here: https://music-electronics-forum.com/...327#post926327
                      I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Originally posted by g1 View Post

Check your settings for the issue mentioned here: https://music-electronics-forum.com/...327#post926327
                        Good grief, I hate this latest vBulletin forum software. And I hate Post mode too (even though it's still my default)!
                        Thanks for the pointer

Comment

Originally posted by mhuss View Post

Good grief, I hate this latest vBulletin forum software. And I hate Post mode too (even though it's still my default)!
                          Thanks for the pointer
                          Are you able to see the attachment now? You also have the ability to toggle between modes at the top of each page, if you do not want to set the default to 'posts' mode.
                          But you will still have to toggle it every time you want to see an attachment.

Comment

Yes, thanks.

I guess this explains why Post mode is the default.

Comment

I think activity mode is so you can see a lot more posts on the page without any extras. It would be nice if it at least showed a symbol that there is an attachment available, or something.

Comment

Working...
                              X