Anyone know what this speaker is?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone know what this speaker is?

It is out of a 135 watt UL Twin Reverb, 8 ohm, doesn't have the typical EIA code. It is damaged and I need to communicate to the re-cone shop what it is in order to get a price.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20210401_165704.jpg
Views:	281
Size:	1.51 MB
ID:	928043
    Attached Files
    It's weird, because it WAS working fine.....

To me it looks like a fane speaker.
    nosaj
    soldering stuff that's broken, breaking stuff that works, Yeah!

Comment

Out of curiosity, how is it damaged? Open coil? Torn? Coil rubbing? etc.
      "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

The surround is completely detached, with a few chunks missing. Oddly, the other one is fine.

Comment

Originally posted by Randall View Post
          I need to communicate to the re-cone shop what it is in order to get a price.
          Can you send the recone shop a picture? Presumably they've seen "everything" so they could i.d. it - might get a faster answer that way.

This isn't the future I signed up for.

Comment

What are the numbers on the speakers?

nosaj

Comment

I have a question about my Fane speakers. I had them in my Bedrock #1202 amp. I was told they were Fane Madusa's in the amp according to the BEDROCK...

Comment

A recone shop should be able to replace the surround only and speaker model/brand wouldn't be that important.
                "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

Presumably both speakers are same age and suffered the same history. The other may be intact, but you might find if you poked the surround, you finger would go right through. meaning it might make sense to ressurround both.
                  Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Yep, that photo looks just like a version the ones I have. Only these are inverted, the round silver piece with the flat edge is actually underneath the round black magnet on these, but the terminal board is the same. Fane it is. I have sent an inquiry with a photo to the re-coner, I'm waiting on his response. He has done some work for me before, and I think he is very good. I pulled the other speaker, and for what ever reason, it seems fine. A call today resulted in me being told, the surround on this type of speaker isn't really repairable with any type of reliability, that is only for foam hi-fi surrounds. My customer is already into me for $300 before the re-cone, so I seriously doubt he is going to want to do them both if one seems okay, despite this very advice from the shop. It came in for power socket replacements, and ended up being two dead sockets, two missing power tubes, four burned up power supply resistors, two bad filter caps, a shredded speaker, and a wrongly wired Mercury OT that I suspect was never needed. He is ornery, and upset at the hack who did the "work", his sound man, who left town owing people money. Plus, he thinks this UL Twin is the greatest sounding amp ever, so whatever that means. I just want to get him back on the road. If he blows another speaker down the road, It's not on me. I don't upcharge for what it costs me to send a speaker out for re-cone, because it's probably going to be around $125.

Comment

It is out of a 135 watt UL Twin Reverb, 8 ohm, doesn't have the typical EIA code. It is damaged and I need to communicate to the re-cone shop what it is in order to get a price.
                      https://www.picclickimg.com/d/l400/pict/163289826461_/Fender-Super-Twin-Reverb-Pair-Of-Blue-Sticker.jpg
                      Click image for larger version  Name:	Fender-Super-Twin-Reverb-Pair-Of-Blue-Sticker.jpg Views:	0 Size:	27.0 KB ID:	928079

1)
                      https://www.jensentone.com/builder-profiles/fender

https://www.jensentone.com/tone-chart
                      Last edited by vintagekiki; 04-02-2021, 07:20 AM. Reason: 1)
                      It's All Over Now

Comment

1) that is not an Eminence speaker and very very unlikely otīs a Jensen.

2) that is a "British" frame. Typical of Celestion but others have used it too.
                        In any case, very unlikely itīs a Celestion either.

3) Might be a Fane: frame shape and black finish match, also shape and size of terminals tagboard:

Name:	fetch?id=928043&d=1617313166.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	1.51 MB
ID:	928109

Name:	fane-1-jpg.69977.jpg
Views:	278
Size:	92.8 KB
ID:	928108

but not exactly a Medusa, Randallīs looks older and cheaper, it has no vented pole piece like this one:

Name:	12g1k3A6ZzA.jpg
Views:	227
Size:	118.6 KB
ID:	928110

Might be a simplified/cheaper version though, offered to Fender to meet some specific batch order at a price.

As of surround: cloth and foam surrounds are routinely replaced, but vthatīs Hi Fi world, at most PA or Bass.

Randall did NOT show the damage to be repaired (why doesnīt that surprise me?) and paper edges are not meant to be replaced (they are one and only with the rest of the cone, felted and pressed in the same single operation) but of course it can be done.

a) neatly cut around the speaker cone, separating intact cone from shredded/torn edge.
                        Clean speaker edge, after removing (presumed) cardboard gaskets.

b) cut the edge/surround from a perfectly good paper cone.

Re glue (use Elmerīs or similar white glue) this new edge both to original cone (overlap some 8-10mm) and speaker frame.
                        I suggest cutting original (not shown) dust cap to allow cone re-shimming so cone remains centered.
                        Next day reattach dustcap, may use dope to make repair less obvious.

The other speaker should be redoped to match.

No need to send it back and forth just for that, reconer might send Randall a small dope bottle so he does that himself.

4) the Fender speaker magnet is HUGE, larger even than the confirmed Medusa one.

Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

I didn't show the damage to the speaker because I wasn't asking about the repair, I was asking about identification. I don't know what I have done to always seem to get on Juan's grumpy side, but here are photos of the damage, which I am not going to attempt to repair. I am not a re-cone shop, even though I have done it successfully on a number of occasions with the right supplies. It just isn't cost effective for me like it might be in other parts of the world. Plus, if my repair doesn't hold up for whatever reason, I'm on the hook, and that means wasted time and costs for me. It's just easier for me to quote a price, send them out, and install them when they return. I have a shop to run, and a reputation to uphold, so it just is what it is. And for the record, last year I saved a torn up 15" bass cab speaker that had a mic stand poked into it, with some paper towel and black nail polish that is still in service for far less than a replacement or a re-cone.

Having said that, here are the photos of the damaged speaker. It is completely separated from the rim. If you would try a repair if you were in my shoes, I applaud you, but sometimes it's not worth it for me, and this is one of those times.

Click image for larger version  Name:	002.JPG Views:	0 Size:	1.65 MB ID:	928148 Click image for larger version  Name:	001.JPG Views:	0 Size:	1.52 MB ID:	928150

Also, my speaker actually does have a vented pole piece. It was dust covered and the filter material disintegrated when I attempted to clean it.

Name:	003.JPG
Views:	268
Size:	1.26 MB
ID:	928153
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by Randall; 04-03-2021, 02:04 AM.

Comment

I didn't show the damage to the speaker ...
                            No repairs, only the original recone kit. It's just a question of how payable it is for the user.
                            Golden shop rule
                            Nothing is impossible, only if the user wants to pay.
                            It's All Over Now

Comment

I didn't show the damage to the speaker because I wasn't asking about the repair, I was asking about identification. I don't know what I have done to always seem to get on Juan's grumpy side,
                              Old grumpy whitebeard here, what else did you expect?
                              That said, I *always* try to help you, by answering the Technical side

but here are photos of the damage, which I am not going to attempt to repair.
                              Which I never suggested you do, but I am answering the damage analysis as I see it and explaining what the reconer needs to do.
                              Specifically because edge replacement was suggested earlier, by others, and I cleared the idea, showing how it is different from a HiFi/PA/DJ speaker repair.
                              If I state something, in general I try to give the reason behind it and if possible, some practical solution.

Of course full reconing is the "easy" solution .... IF available that is.
                              Not sure how easy it is to get FANE spares in USA, and at what cost.
                              If they have to be ordered from England ...........

Having said that, here are the photos of the damaged speaker. It is completely separated from the rim.

Also, my speaker actually does have a vented pole piece. It was dust covered and the filter material disintegrated when I attempted to clean it.
                              Cool, now weīre talking.

As a side note: you only asked for identifiction, true.

I answered that, AND diagnosed the problem AND suggested a solution.

But as they say, no good deed goes unpunished

Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Working...
                              X