VOX AC15C1 smoking fuses

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VOX AC15C1 smoking fuses

VOX AC15C1 blows mains fuse instantly with all tubes out. Disconnected OT, still blows. Disconnected PT secondaries, still blows. Does not pass the neon bulb test, but I have been fooled by that one before. Before I commit to delivering the news, can we assume this PT is toast? I get no resistance reading between any of the secondaries or to ground.

http://dealers.korgusa.com/svcfiles/AC15C1_Smanual.pdf
    It's weird, because it WAS working fine.....

So disconnect the primary wires too, still blow? Transformer likely bad, but we might as well rule out a shorted cap or other bit in the primary mains wiring.
    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

I don't see what disconnecting the primaries will tell us? I see nothing on the primary side that could blow a fuse, do you?

Comment

It's unlikely, but not impossible. Power switch could have a short to ground, etc. Presumably, you have to unhook the primary anyway to replace the transformer, so why not test it unhooked? A wise man named Enzo once said something about not thinking up reasons to not check something.
        "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

Your schematic won't open for me for some reason.

Like Dude says, the wires are coming off anyway, so invest 10 seconds to be sure.
          Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Fuse does not blow with primary wires disconnected.

Comment

Well, ok, that probably proves the same thing, but I would have hooked the transformer primary directly to ac through the LBL or current monitoring variac to test the transformer unhooked from everything.

Comment

With transformer connected to nothing except primary directly to AC thru LBL, bulb glows bright. Can I get an Amen for bad PT?

Comment

AMEN!

Comment

Is the power transformer for the appropriate main voltage (page 17 Item 38)
                    Remove fuses F1, F2, F3, standby off.
                    Do blown main fuse F4.
                    It's All Over Now

Comment

There are a couple versions of PT for this model. Make sure you get one that matches the dimensions so you don't have to drill new screw holes or anything.
                      Originally posted by Enzo
                      I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

http://dealers.korgusa.com/svcfiles/AC15C1_Smanual.pdf

(page 17 Item 38)
                        1806-4108+0000 TRANSFORMER PWR 240V AUS
                        1806-4084+0000 TRANSFORMER PWR 230V EU
                        1806-4107+0000 TRANSFORMER PWR 120V
                        1806-4106+0000 TRANSFORMER PWR 100V JP
                        It's All Over Now

Comment

I ordered the Hammond version for the AC15C1, (290CZ) which is advertised as a drop in replacement from CE Dist. They offer several versions. You know if they sell replacements specific for a model of an amp, that the failure rate is high enough to make it a profitable venture. And I would sooner go with Hammond over anything Korg would sell me, which just be more of the same under spec'd crap.

Comment

Originally posted by g1 View Post
                            There are a couple versions of PT for this model. Make sure you get one that matches the dimensions so you don't have to drill new screw holes or anything.
                            I may be getting my C1 and CC1 mixed up. There are so many variants of the AC series it's stupid.
                            Anyway, the Hammond unit 290CZ has screw centers 2" x 2.5". The other size I'm thinking of (maybe for CC1) has screw centers 2.5" x 3.125".
                            Originally posted by Enzo
                            I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

I haven't yet pulled the original from the chassis to get measurements, but if CE Dist tells me the Hammond 290CZ is the replacement for the C1, I am going to take them at their word that it will fit.

Comment

Working...
                              X