Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help with peavey xr600b??..

Hello,

So I received a peavey xr600b that had belonged to my grandpa from my uncle. He told me it didn't work. And it just blows fuse's. After getting it and opening it up I found two burnt up resistors and a burned up zener diode. After replacing these and reading several forms, I pulled the power transitor and checked all of them. Which checked out. I also checked the voltage coming from the transformer which was Red 39 volts on each side and 20 on each side of the orange wires. While I was putting everything back together I noticed that ( I marked and numbered all of the connections when I was taking it apart) the black and white wire plug was plugged into a three male plug connector. In the center of the board was a two male plug connector. Which seemed like that's where that black and white wire plug should go. But that is not where it was when I unplugged It. So I hook everything back up and turn it on. The compression light came on but not the power light. Then one of the resistors I replaced started to smoke and pop went the fuse. So replaced resistor moved plug to two prong connection flip the switch and, came on. fuse didn't blow and resistor didn't burn. Compression light comes on for a sec when turned on then fades out. Still no power light. There is a half volt of DC on output jacks and no AC. Test speakers plugged in it makes a metallic swooshing sound. When you turn it off the speakers make a high-pitched squeal sound. Back to the board after doing some more reading I start checking all the transistors I went ahead and changed the 5331's and 5332. I also decided to recap it due to testing results of the original caps. 8 of the 12 had failed. So after all of that when turned on it no longer makes noise while on but still makes the high pitch squeal and doesn't work. So hopefully someone can give me some ideas. It has the 400b/g board on it. And if you need numbers or have questions about anything else I have checked or done please ask away. Thanks for any help.

I don't know from black and white wires, but there is a diode on the heat sink with a wire from each end that plugs onto the board, and it does plug onto two pins right in the center of the board. Seems to me there is a male and a female so you can't plug it on backwards.

If that diode is not plugged onto the board properly then both sides of the output stage will turn full on, blowing fuses.

The six pins near the edge of the board, closer to the main filter caps are where the speakers connect.

Over at the far end of the board, farthest from the filter caps, is the four pins of the cable to the preamp(front panel). I would disconnect that cable and just run the power amp alone until it is sorted out. The end pin nearest the corner is the signal input. Just touching it with your finger injects so hum for a quick test if it is amplifying or not. Or use a clip wire to connect a signal source.

Also on teh board between the two ICs are four pins. They are a cable to the compressor on/off switch and the compressor LED. You can leave them unplugged.
    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

I will give this a try tomorrow and let you know what I find. Thanks for the speedy answer. Also is there a three pin connector that isn't used?

Comment

Look on your schematic, top center. There is a pot which is labelled something like threshold adjustment. That is where the pot would have connected, but I have never seen one of those amps that actually had the pot, and I was a authorized Peavey repair facility for over 30 years. I think that is the three pins you mean. Yes, they are not used.
        Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

I didn't forget about you. I did forget one of the capacitors and when I took it out and tested it, it failed badly. So I ordered some parts and as soon as there in I will continue on with the testing. It is the 10uf 25vdc cap. I don't know if it will work but I do have a 22uf 50vdc cap I could drop in and continue with the testing if it wouldn't hurt anything?.?.

Comment

Originally posted by Idontknow?!?! View Post
            I do have a 22uf 50vdc cap I could drop in and continue with the testing if it wouldn't hurt anything?.?.
            That will work fine for testing and won't hurt anything.

Originally posted by Enzo
            I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Ok, I'm back. So parts installed, found that the cap that I didn't change was in backwards. So put new cap in and fired it up as Enzo suggested, and yes I do get hum when I touch the outermost pin on the board. So I tried hooking up the front panel and the compressor and I still have nothing getting to that. No lights or change of sounds just nothing. Where should I go from this point?

Comment

Ok I just hooked up the clip wire and played music through it.

Comment

Looks like on the farthest set of pins from the filter caps second pin down there is supposed to be +15 volts and there is not. Where should I go to see where the problem is? Thanks again for any help.

Comment

15v supplies ar eon the power amp board, see schematic.

Comment

Working...
                    X