Kustom K100C-8

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kustom K100C-8

Was working, guy that gave it to me admits he may have bumped this transistor causing one(1) leg to come loose. Unable to find part or equal.

F2N4248 is the transistor

Comment

2N4248 is the transistor
      F is the manufacturer's label

https://music-electronics-forum.com/forum/amplification/guitar-amps/maintenance-troubleshooting-repair/51507-kustom-k100c-8-repair
      1)

Click image for larger version  Name:	s-l1600.jpg Views:	0 Size:	266.4 KB ID:	928638
      Last edited by vintagekiki; 04-10-2021, 08:17 PM. Reason: 1)
      It's All Over Now

Comment

Kustom Semiconductor Information 2
        It's All Over Now

Comment

How can you tell where that transistor is in the circuit schematically by looking at those photos of the board? I've repaired one of these and I can't do that.

ca7922303, do you own one of these or do you have a photographic memory or something?

I remember having to source three different transistors from various sources. I also remember that two weren't the original part number but "equivalents" that could only be sourced from east Asia. Fortunately they worked just fine. I also remember there was one that I wanted to replace, but didn't absolutely have to. And I decided not to since I couldn't find any replacement for it. I would have had to do circuit modification for one option or glue the transistor to the board and wire the legs cattywhompus for another.
          "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
          You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Replaced 2n4248 transistor and no change. Still a loud hum. Guy I got it from says it was working and he was spraying noisy pots and may have bumped something and then it developed the loud hum. I found the 2n4248 with one(1) leg broken from bottom of transistor and thought he had maybe bumped it somehow.

Comment

If this is like a REALLY LOUD hum then you probably shouldn't be plugging it into a speaker cabinet for the moment. These amps are all modular and I expect very similar overall. I failed to connect the flying leads from preamp board to the power amp board having not tested just what those leads do. Well, one was a ground lead. When I turned it on the power amp proceeded to bump my speaker cabinet full of DC voltage.

No guarantee this is your problem, but check contact on all flying leads and test grounds.

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?

Comment

You can view the schematics here: http://www.vintagekustom.com/literat...h/AmpList.html

Comment

Originally posted by Jazz P Bass View Post
                  Excellent. And... When I made my mistake I did have a schematic. I just hadn't checked it to see if the power amp board ground was via the flying leads from the preamp board because I never expected that. I know better than to take such things as obvious now.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck H View Post

Excellent. And... When I made my mistake I did have a schematic. I just hadn't checked it to see if the power amp board ground was via the flying leads from the preamp board because I never expected that. I know better than to take such things as obvious now.
                    If possible, due to my limited experience, could someone give me step by step details of how to test? I have auto ranging dmm, pc oscope, signal generator, and vatiac, but very little experience troubleshooting. Thanks.

Comment

That transistor is one of the two input transistors on the power amp, the differential pair. Breaking off the lead may have caused damage to the rest of the power amp circuit.

Do as Chuck suggested and don't power up the amp with the speaker connected until you check to see if there is dc voltage on the output. Unplug the speaker and attach your voltmeter to the terminals of the speaker jack. Set the meter to read dc volts. Turn on the amp and see if there is a voltage on the speaker jack. If there is, then you will need to test the rest of the transistors in the power amp.

Do the test and let us know what you find out.

Comment

Originally posted by 52 Bill View Post
                        That transistor is one of the two input transistors on the power amp, the differential pair. Breaking off the lead may have caused damage to the rest of the power amp circuit.

Do as Chuck suggested and don't power up the amp with the speaker connected until you check to see if there is dc voltage on the output. Unplug the speaker and attach your voltmeter to the terminals of the speaker jack. Set the meter to read dc volts. Turn on the amp and see if there is a voltage on the speaker jack. If there is, then you will need to test the rest of the transistors in the power amp.

Do the test and let us know what you find out.
                        Ouput jack(-9.5v).

Comment

With the dc on the output, do not reconnect the speaker until you fix the problem with the power amp circuit.

What did you replace the broken transistor with? Did you find a 2N4249 or did you use a substitute?

Comment

Originally posted by 52 Bill View Post
                            With the dc on the output, do not reconnect the speaker until you fix the problem with the power amp circuit.

What did you replace the broken transistor with? Did you find a 2N4249 or did you use a substitute?
                            Found an actual 2n4248 on eBay. I think i've got maybe four(4) more. The three schematics (900,1400, 1500) referenced on this forum don't seem to have any 2n4248s unless I'm not spotting them?

Comment

Well, what board is your amp? It will say on it.
                              Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Working...
                              X