No announcement yet.

Peavey VTM 120 Repair Troubles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IMO, it's highly unlikely that a failing PT would cause tubes to red plate, unless you were losing the bias winding. Your tests proved otherwise.
    "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

Maybe they meant the OT? That would make more sense.
      Originally posted by Enzo
      I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Any repair shop that immediately jumps to power transformer as the first on the list of suspects with symptoms mentioned in this thread would make me weary.
        When the going gets weird... The weird turn pro!

Comment

I doubt the PT is bad.

Intermittent faults are the most tedious.

Let's eliminate the obvious.

Check for cold or bad solder. Are ok ?
          Check molex connectors, (if you left any) Check resistors, cap, diode, sockets. Are ok ? Pull those. Are firmly soldered ?
          Check the components around the output tubes ( Screen resistors, diode zener) Are ok ? ( maybe change 100R with 470R-1k can help ? )
          Check voltages. Without and with output tubes. Are ok ? ( Plate, cathode, screen, negative voltages, B+)
          I read, you have changed the place the output tubes, for excluding them from equation. Check again.

Comment

Absolutely no indication of a PT problem so far.
            - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

Update: got the amp off of the bench, a couple good techs have had their try to no avail. Said they couldn't find anything that they could deem to be the cause, besides a suspiciously uneven output transformer.

A huge bummer, especially after all the work put in to just get it to the starting line. Will bring to one more tech, whose got a few decades over others and has been referred by peavey since this amp came out.

Comment

Working...
              X