Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who made the right-angle dished speaker plug for Fender years ago?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who made the right-angle dished speaker plug for Fender years ago?

I got to thinking about those round right-angle dished speaker plugs Fender used years ago, and went to check what was attached to our Fender Silver-Face Twin Reverb (with the JBL Orange-frame D120F spkrs). Here's some photos of the plug:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Phone plug-6.JPG
Views:	305
Size:	1.23 MB
ID:	930280 Click image for larger version

Name:	Phone plug-3.JPG
Views:	300
Size:	1,017.8 KB
ID:	930282 Click image for larger version

Name:	Phone plug-9.JPG
Views:	280
Size:	1.07 MB
ID:	930284

It does look like a Switchcraft shaft/tip. I'm nervous to try and pry off the Fender molded cap, as it may shatter, it being well over 40 yrs old (CBS Musical Instruments).

Click image for larger version

Name:	Phone plug-7.JPG
Views:	292
Size:	1.02 MB
ID:	930286

Maybe H.H. Smith, or perhaps Keystone? I don't find it in Switchcraft's engineering catalog...though this plug IS over 40 yrs old.
    Attached Files
    Logic is an organized way of going wrong with confidence

Drop a line to Switchcraft and ask them.
    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

I don't worry about replicating that. If the original is broken, I just use the more modern right angle jack with the metal cover plate and screws.
      "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

A problem is that right angle plugs of decent build, eg neutrik, amphenol, switchcraft, tend to be too deep, protrude out, so making it a problem to lay the amp on its back.
        My band:- http://www.youtube.com/user/RedwingBand

Comment

FWIW: I was talking about this type and haven't had a problem with them sticking out too far.

Click image for larger version  Name:	996_1.jpg Views:	0 Size:	10.7 KB ID:	930303

Comment

I have used the flat type Dude shows for decades and they have no clearance problems. The ones that look like a guitar plug bent 90 degrees are too big.

But I can see Nevet's point, it is easy to replace that with a functional modern part, but the vintage amp will lose that bit of vintageness. Imagine taking your vintage 1956 T-bird to a garage for a maintenance and you get it back with the wide white gangster walls replaced with plain old black tires.
            Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Originally posted by The Dude View Post
              FWIW: I was talking about this type and haven't had a problem with them sticking out too far.
              A problem with that type is that they’re generic rather than of known manufacture. So they’re not all the same, I’ve bought some that were a joke, soldering wrecked the insulation.
              Over here, high street shop Maplin used to sell a good version, but since they went under, Ive not found a solid alternative.
              My band:- http://www.youtube.com/user/RedwingBand

Comment

Originally posted by pdf64 View Post
                A problem with that type is that they’re generic rather than of known manufacture. So they’re not all the same, I’ve bought some that were a joke, soldering wrecked the insulation.
                Over here, high street shop Maplin used to sell a good version, but since they went under, Ive not found a solid alternative.
                Yup I bought some of those plugs and yes the soldering caused all sorts of troubles with the insulation. I was able to add my own insulation to the plug but it was a real pain.
                When the going gets weird... The weird turn pro!

Comment

Mojotone has them, but you have to buy the plug and F cap separately.
                  It's weird, because it WAS working fine.....

Comment

I like the Switchcraft No.228:

https://www.mouser.de/ProductDetail/...26hyNiusgUmA==
                    - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

Yes, that's the one I was talking about. I've never had a problem wrecking the insulation via soldering. The picture I posted in post #5 isn't a Swithcraft. I just grabbed the first picture in a google search as an example of the plug type. I also use the Switchcraft plugs.

Comment

yeah, we use the switchcraft version of that type.
                        If I have a 50% chance of guessing the right answer, I guess wrong 80% of the time.

Comment

Working...
                        X