Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mesa mk iv pull for silent mv issue

hi folks,
    i gotta mesa boogie mk iv on my bench a friend brought to me for a repair... its been thru a bunch of the other local techs, and now its trickled down to me. at some point, it had cooked catastrophically, and was modded and repaired by someone. it appears they took out the mv and changed it. it works... kinda.... but its wrong.
    i've tried contacting mesa, which is an excercise in wasted time.... "send it back to us to fix".... no, i don't think so... lol
    i've looked high and low for gut shots etc, and found ONE that is only semi useful.
    basically, the problem is that the push pull function works in reverse.
    its supposed to be "pull for silent recording" and pushed in should work normally. somehow, this got wired backwards.... the amp only will work normally with the pot pulled out.
    of course, the owner cannot possibly live with it that way 8)
    it also appears to be wired weird.
    the schematic shows it to be wired as a variable resistor... but gives no indication which side of the pot is actually used. right now, they have it wired to pins 1 and 2 (from left, pins up, back of the pot) and have a grey and black wire wired to one pin, and a jumper to the switch part, but its obvious they moved stuff around. there's also a blue wire going to the right side of the switch.
    if this were a solid state amp i wouldn't be too uptite to work on it, but this is a high voltage expensive piece of ... ummm... boutique amp and i don't wanna risk experimenting til i get it right and cause any more damage.
    so my question, is, please, can someone post me a pic of how it's supposed to be wired, or maybe tell me which wire is supposed to go to which pin?
    i just wanna get this thing off my bench and sent home with the guy. its been sitting here too long now.
    i DID find a pic of the mv on a mk3, but its different from the mk4... and the one pic i managed to find of the mv area on the net isn't big enough to tell much other than the grey wire is supposed to be on pin 3 and the black one on pin 2.

where should the switch be connected to?

yikes. this has been a pia!
    so i appreciate any help or advice.
    THANK YOU!

pink jimi
    first pic is the little bit i found on line, showing the connection to the pot... i THINK its grey wire to pin 3 and black wire to pin 2, but i can't see anything else unfortunately.
    the other 4 pics are of the actual amp... its definitely wired wrong, and has been rewired too many times to suss out how it may have been originally.

Someone replaced the pot with one that has the wrong type of switch. The switch portion needs to be 'normally open' and they used a 'normally closed'. You can't reverse it by wiring, you need to get the right part.
    If the pot is otherwise functioning as master, that part of the wiring should be ok.
    Pot section ('output level') is shown on pg.3 of attached, 'EQ in' is on pg.5
    Attached Files
    Originally posted by Enzo
    I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

awesome, thanks... yeah, i figured out the switch was the opposite kind. got the correct one directly from mesa, just gotta install it. finally found a vid on youtube with enough of the inside to get a decent gut shot. now i should be able to get it done right finally and conclusively. i'll attach it in case anyone else ever needs the info for it. thanks very much for the reply and guidance!

Comment

Working...
      X