Fender Deluxe Reverb--Hi Pitch Squeal when turned on

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fender Deluxe Reverb--Hi Pitch Squeal when turned on

The last of the five Fender Deluxe Reverbs I've had in the shop....this one was noted to having a Hi Pitch Squeal when turned on, switching out of Standby. As luck would have it, I was unable to repeat the problem on the bench. Went thru the usual motions to try and induce it with no luck. Last time this same amp had the problem, it would squeal as soon as you turned it on (last October). I didn't find it then either. Though then, I did notice Vibrato Ch V2 preamp tube was vibration sensitive. I've tapped on all of the tubes, both with and without the shields installed. Tapped on the power tubes, rectifier tube, hammered on the cabinet, hammered on the reverb tank, Reverb level turned up.

I searched thru my Service Notes database, setting the search for Fender, Model, Asset #, and then scrolled thru the 12 years of records to find each and every Fender amp that has had this issue. Most I found were related to the Reverb circuit....a Vibrolux Reverb last year had too much Reverb return gain, and lowered that by 10dB to cure it, still having plenty of gain for the tank. One other amp that had loud squeal was a SF Twin Reverb, whose power tube sockets were all loose, one not even showing the tube lit up. Had to re-tension the tube socket contacts, then the squeal problem was gone.

So, while I again didn't find the cause, I did find this is a repeat offender, and will hopefully find the issue. For now, it's been put back into play. Nice to have that ever-growing data base on every amp and project that has come thru the shop!

Anyone find this hi-pitch squeal problem before?
    Logic is an organized way of going wrong with confidence

Does it squeal with the reverb turned all the way down?
    Is this one of the reissues?
    "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

It IS one of the re-ssue amps. I haven't yet been able to repeat the problem. Listening to the residual noise with the volume pots turned up full, treble up full, I can hear the faintest HF pitch in the noise, but haven't been able to bring it forward into full oscillation. I haven't yet pulled the chassis out to the test bench for digging, as I haven't yet had the problem manifest itself. It is ear-marked, since this is a repeat-offender (last October and again here in May). If it comes back, and still remains in hiding, I'll go digging with the spectrum analyzer in the residual noise, as my ears did detect some trace amount of pitchness in the noise.

Comment

Check your PM's.
        "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

Did you ever figure out the noise? Mine makes the same sound when you take it out of standby.

Comment

Try replacing the standby switch, see if that fixes it. If so, then try to avoid using standby mode ever again. The high voltage back emf spike off the choke might be damaging the switch contacts.
            Last edited by pdf64; 10-08-2024, 07:53 PM.
            My band:- http://www.youtube.com/user/RedwingBand

Comment

I forget and don’t yet have my laptop powered to access my limited service manual files on the flash drive, but believe I at least have that DR65 doc.

Isn’t the S/B Switch a SPDT? If so, maybe rotating the switch 180 degrees (Fender no doubt added the locating finger for the mating slot in the threaded bushing which would have to be filed out. Then insert the quick disconnect terminals they were while now using a fresh contact terminal.

Comment

Working...
              X