Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Silvertone 1484 Owners Please Confirm This Resistor Value.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Silvertone 1484 Owners Please Confirm This Resistor Value.

V4 12AX7 Pin 2 is connected to 2 resistors: R40: 560K and R41: 68K. Mine is connected to a 560K and a 150K (Brn-Green-Yellow). Anyone else have a non-68K resistor for R41?
    Follow-up question: Any resources for understanding the Silvertone's reverb circuit?

Schematic?
    "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	Sears_Silvertone_1484_Twin_Twelve_REPRODUCTION_Manual-page-004.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	192.0 KB
ID:	931614
      Attached Files

Comment

That is the reverb recovery circuit. I can't see that it would matter much. If you are concerned, slap another 150k in parallel to see it it changes the reverb. That would result in 75k, which is close enough for testing. Might increase the reverb signal a bit.

REverb? I don't know of any book analysis, but the ends are piezos. A piezo drives the spring and another is the pickup. The drive side is a push-pull stage comprising V5. The tiny square on the print is a piezo element.

On the pickup end, a piezo gathers the reverb signal and feeds it to your pin 2. That triode amplifies it and mixes it into V3 with the channels.

The reverb unit itself is utter crap. It has all the tone of a screen door spring. Sorry. It is one large spring. TRhe two piezo elements are stuck into little claamps that make electrical contact too. The piezoz stick up into the spring coils to make mechanical contact.
        Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Originally posted by Enzo View Post
          That is the reverb recovery circuit. I can't see that it would matter much. If you are concerned, slap another 150k in parallel to see it it changes the reverb. That would result in 75k, which is close enough for testing. Might increase the reverb signal a bit.

REverb? I don't know of any book analysis, but the ends are piezos. A piezo drives the spring and another is the pickup. The drive side is a push-pull stage comprising V5. The tiny square on the print is a piezo element.

On the pickup end, a piezo gathers the reverb signal and feeds it to your pin 2. That triode amplifies it and mixes it into V3 with the channels.

The reverb unit itself is utter crap. It has all the tone of a screen door spring. Sorry. It is one large spring. TRhe two piezo elements are stuck into little claamps that make electrical contact too. The piezoz stick up into the spring coils to make mechanical contact.
          Thank you for the information. My 1484 was "serviced" by the previous owner(s)--new caps, 3-prong power cord, a few new resistors. I'm just walking my way through the amp looking for bugs. It sounds quite good, but there are a few quirks/issues I'm researching--a low-level buzz here, a hum there. Reverb works some days, other days it doesn't....

Comment

Originally posted by Guitarist1983 View Post
            V4 12AX7 Pin 2 is connected to 2 resistors: R40: 560K and R41: 68K. Mine is connected to a 560K and a 150K (Brn-Green-Yellow). Anyone else have a non-68K resistor for R41?
            Follow-up question: Any resources for understanding the Silvertone's reverb circuit?
            Higher value R41 increases rev recovery level.

The rev drive circuit is wired like a Paraphase PI. As the load (piezo transducer) is connected between the anti-phase outputs, this results in push-pull operation.
            So the circuit can be described as a self-splitting class A push-pull stage.

The PP operation allows for large voltage swings, needed for the high impedance piezo
            - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

Originally posted by Helmholtz View Post

Higher value R41 increases rev recovery level.

The rev drive circuit is wired like a Paraphase PI. As the load (piezo transducer) is connected between the anti-phase outputs, this results in push-pull operation.
              So the circuit can be described as a self-splitting class A push-pull stage.

The PP operation allows for large voltage swings, needed for the high impedance piezo
              Thanks. Based on your summary of the rev drive circuit, I have a lot to learn--or perhaps I'll ignore the Silvertone Reverb circuit since I don't like its sound.

Comment

Working...
              X