No announcement yet.

Randall RD-5 not happy..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Your output stage is working. Did you check the speaker and connection?
    Support for Fender, Laney, Marshall, Mesa, VOX and many more. https://jonsnell.co.uk
    If you can't fix it, I probably can.

Comment

Some cheap meters don't block DC in ACV setting and interpret DCV as ACV. I also have one of those but never use it for ACV.
      When set to ACV and measuring a 9V battery I get a false reading of 18VAC. About same factor of 2 as with your values.
      Last edited by Helmholtz; 05-24-2021, 10:23 PM.
      - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Snell View Post
        Your output stage is working. Did you check the speaker and connection?
        Hi Jon,

great that the output stage & PT seem ok.

1st thing I did was test continuity across speaker: 6ohms or so, with usual tiny crackle audible.

Connection.. I've pushed amp's crimp on- wires firmly onto speaker lugs, feel them going on fine. They exit from the OT, so can't check them that end I don't think.

Thanks. SC

Comment

Have you an oscilloscope as you now need to trace the signal to get to where it ends and there will be the problem.
          It is more than unusual for a single ended amplifier to be completely silent. They all hum slightly.
          Support for Fender, Laney, Marshall, Mesa, VOX and many more. https://jonsnell.co.uk

Comment

Have you an oscilloscope as you now need to trace the signal to get to where it ends and there will be the problem.
            It is more than unusual for a single ended amplifier to be completely silent. They all hum slightly.
            Hi Jon. Ok get the gist of what you're post implies- alas no, I don't have an oscilloscope.

I'll put my ear right next to the spkr though/ try again.. it was pointing away up til now.

If I still get nothing, my 'logic' might ask wouldn't the symptoms now suggest the OT has failed. Has this Q have any validity-?

Cheers. SC

Comment

Unusual to have the transformer fail without signs of heat damage but I am open to learning.
              Disconnect the speaker and measure the resistance of the output speaker winding. It should be a very low value >1 Ohm. The primary side slightly higher at between 22 Ohms and less than 5k Ohms, (on a dc meter).
              If they comply, the transformer is OK.
              Did you check the speaker without the transformer connected? Use a PP3 battery.
              Last edited by Jon Snell; 05-25-2021, 11:19 AM. Reason: Spelling error

Comment

Total silence from the speaker, ear right next to/ not even the tiniest hiss. Hmm..

Comment

PP3 test? The speech coil should at least click.

Comment

PP3 test? The speech coil should at least click.

Yup.. done this/ heard the expected prominent click, definite signs of life.

forgive me.. measure reistance across output speaker wires with amp on, or off?

thanks SC

Comment

Amp off because there will be no loudspeaker load. Same for the primary.

Comment

Amp off because there will be no loudspeaker load. Same for the primary.
                        Yup understood Jon. Ok across the two output speaker wires: I'm geting infinity symbol / zilch ohms, nothing at all.

thanks SC

Comment

Jon Snell I do find a possibility. My detective work (probably accounts for little!).. bear with me:

There's a 'MUTE' switch on the back (tiny push in-out placcy thing) which is missing.. the button's awol/ seems snapped off, leaving a 5x5mm hole in the chassis on the back, & only the base of the switch left, with its 4 tiny legs in the pcb.

I've just 1/2 removed the small pcb its on to get a view (as I spotted a disconnected secondary OT wire, which as there seems no vacant terminal for it to go onto, seems likely correct as is: possibly a 16ohm tap-?). Also on this pcb, are junction posts from the OT to the spkr wires (all seem ok), 3x placcy pcb mounted jack RTN/ SEND etc etc.

So to me the awol switch, is "in the vicinity of things that can possibly interrupt the flow > out > to the spkr" (that's my logic!)

IE I wonder in its sheered off state, if it's now simply stuck in the MUTE position-?

Comment

If it is muted, that would explain it.
                            Tapped secondary at either 4 or 16 Ohms I expect.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	image_54753.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	2.90 MB
ID:	932856
                              If it is muted, that would explain it.
                              Tapped secondary at either 4 or 16 Ohms I expect.
                              Awol switch left arrow, identical present switch right arrow..

Comment

Upside down pic sorry, this might be better..

Click image for larger version

Name:	29404BE3-D611-40C6-9765-624CAD2DBB24.jpeg
Views:	173
Size:	2.54 MB
ID:	932859

Comment

Working...
                                X