X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The rear panel is missing

Comment

Originally posted by pontiacpete View Post
      It has “MRB effects”. Is that the repeat percussion switch, if not what is it?
      I’m trying to wire the power switch using that switch in the picture. Do you know which light comes on when it’s in standby? Does the red light come on first at power up then when in operate mode does it go off and the green one comes on?

edit: I see MRB means ‘mid resonant boost’
      The circuit is shown in the V1143 Schematic...only one of the Vox Beatles that has it. The control is on the rear panel between the 6-pin Din Footswitch connector and the MRB Effects control.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Preamp chassis-22.JPG Views:	0 Size:	1.39 MB ID:	933700

The schematic for the V1143 is below:

Click image for larger version  Name:	VOX Beatle V1143 Schematic.png Views:	0 Size:	787.8 KB ID:	933701

On page 76 & 77 of RG Keen's Vox Owner's Safety Net book there's a good description of this Repeat Precussion circuit.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by nevetslab; 06-04-2021, 12:15 AM.
      Logic is an organized way of going wrong with confidence

Comment

Originally posted by pontiacpete View Post
        I have this switch from the teisco power switch repair that you can see at this thread:

https://music-electronics-forum.com/...-repair/36242-

It’s C&K(9) a series 3 position rotary with 12 lugs around the body and 4 lugs in the center label A-D. It’s rated at 2.6A 125vac.
        Would this switch work for the super beatle? Or do I need one rated for higher amperage. The amp uses a 3A fuse.
        Click image for larger version

Name:	E78C9DED-3084-4C93-90D9-3E7AE19A85C7.jpeg
Views:	390
Size:	4.75 MB
ID:	933450
        Hi Pete,

Sorry I didn't get back to you on this question. I just pulled up an image I had of the AC Mains On/Off SPST switch that's used on the Beatle 3-position rotary switch, where the AC Mains switch is an enclosed high current switch common to the shaft that engages the Speaker Connection and the two Talley Lights (SB and ON).

Here's a close up of that rotary switch, and can make out the current rating on the power switch as 9A/125VAC. If you click on the image, you can enlarge it to see the rating.

Click image for larger version

Name:	AC Mains wiring-3.JPG
Views:	154
Size:	1.65 MB
ID:	935485

I lucked out on this one. The danger on these wafer/enclosed mains switches is the Speaker Cable is wired to the wafer decks, and there's no strain relief in the way it's all wired together, apart from cable clamps screwed down into the particle board cabinet. One false move by someone unfamiliar with the fragility and the speaker wires will break the wafer, and you're screwed.

The current rating on that 3-position 12-lug rotary switch sounds like 4P/3 position. No easy way to make that work. You could try wiring two of the switches in parallel, though it's not quite the same as a higher-current rated switch. And, in the case of the custom switch selected, the AC Mains switch is an isolated enclosed body switch, and not sharing close proximity to the speaker and talley lights on the same deck.

A very small 12VAC xfmr to run a 25A relay to switch the AC mains could be a complicated way of solving it, but now more clap-trap to package in. Ugh.
        Attached Files
        Logic is an organized way of going wrong with confidence

Comment

I've found multi gang wafer switches in router switches.
          plastic, but like ten gangs so you can skip a few for isolation.
          I saved a few in case I get one of these that needs one.

So try your local thrift store.

Comment

Working...
          X