Fender Silverface champ noise issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by beedoola View Post
    Measured DC voltage at the input jacks and there is nothing.
    Did you have a plug in the input jack while measuring? Otherwise the jack will short any voltage.
    Can your meter measure mV?

If your guitar pots are only scratchy with this amp, I'd expect some DCV.

- Own Opinions Only -

Comment

Originally posted by Helmholtz View Post

Did you have a plug in the input jack while measuring? Otherwise the jack will short any voltage.

yeah, had a patch cable plugged in.

I saw enzo’s post with turn schematic.

Comment

Originally posted by beedoola
        I measured some of the voltages ...
        Question
        How much is the mains voltage?
        For which primary voltage is provided PT, 100, 117 or 120VAC?

A higher AC voltage at the 5Y3 anodes will give a higher DC voltage at the first elco and at all other tubes.
        The AC voltage at the 5Y3 anodes is 357VAC (365VAC at CBS Fender Champ) and it is within the predicted limits.
        Voltages may vary in the tolerance relationship 10 - 20%.
        After you did repair Champ as you described, what the sound is after the repair. Is it clean, or is it still have transient phenomena (noise or similar)
        I guess all the tubes in Champ are new (not like new)
        Click image for larger version

Name:	CBS Fender Champ.gif
Views:	195
Size:	63.4 KB
ID:	938554
        It's All Over Now

Comment

This ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
          "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
          You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

10 minutes of time, .022u capacitor and 1M resistor fixes all the described Champ problems if amp is properly repaired and brought into mint condition.

Name:	image 55816.gif
Views:	224
Size:	65.0 KB
ID:	938581
            It's All Over Now

Comment

Originally posted by vintagekiki View Post
              10 minutes of time, .022u capacitor and 1M resistor fixes all the described Champ problems if amp is properly repaired and brought into mint condition.

Name:	image 55816.gif
Views:	224
Size:	65.0 KB
ID:	938581
              What software do you use to edit original schematics?
              - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

Originally posted by Helmholtz
                What software do you use to edit original schematics?
                I don't understand the question, in relation to the title thread.
                When you ask, any which online.
                It's All Over Now

Comment

Originally posted by vintagekiki View Post
                  I don't understand the question, in relation to the title thread.
                  When you ask, any which online.
                  Sorry, unrelated to thread topic.

I'd like to learn something.

I like how you modified the original schematic and am asking what software you used for this.
                  - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

Originally posted by Helmholtz
                    I'd like to learn something.
                    I like how you modified the original schematic and am asking what software you used for this.
                    I'm an old-timer (y74) so such programs I use.
                    I use the good old Xp, and editors that Xp supports. These are PhotoEd 3.01 and Photoshop 5.0.
                    For the graphic symbol bank, I use symbols from factory schematics and then copy / paste. A text editor exists in Photoshop.
                    It's not very practical, but it's usable.
                    Tip
                    If you decide to do this kind of work, it is best to make your choice (bank) of symbols (resistor, capacitor, tube, transistor, transformer ...) for each manufactores brand, so that schematic for each brand is same.
                    It's All Over Now

Comment

Helmholtz Click image for larger version

Name:	fetch?id=916285&d=1603376615.gif
Views:	172
Size:	1.7 KB
ID:	938612
                      It's All Over Now

Comment

Thought I replied to this but yes, I measured with a plug in the jack. I do have a MV setting on my DMM. I'll check that out.

I realized my OP said my pots are "crazy" when I meant to type "scratchy." Only with this amp.

It has much improved since cleaning and rebuilding the circuit. I tested the Can cap to see if it was good, if that might be an issued and it is ok.

I also did what others suggested - maybe in another forum, can't remember - and removed the 68k input resistors from the board and put them directly to the jacks.

Comment

About testing caps. If by testing it you mean measured its capacitance with a meter, that is only a very SMALL part of testing. The value of a filter cap is not all that important. Caps have notoriously loose tolerance. In fact way back when, the can caps had typical tolerances of +80/-20%. If a cap should be 20uf but is really 10uf or 30uf, the circuit will still work fine. But your meter measures caps with just one or two volts at most. The main problem with caps is leakage and other factors at operating voltages. What a cap measures at a volt or two may be nothing like it performs at 400 volts.
                          Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Working...
                          X