Question about discharging capacitors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about discharging capacitors

I'm not intending on acting on this assumption, but shouldn't this discharge the capacitors:
    Unplug amp. Turn amp on. Shouldn't any left over charge be depleted by this?

okay, now on the same topic.... right now I'm planning on discharging them with a resistor and connecting the + of each cap to chassis.

I've heard I can omit the resistor if I touch the correct pin socket to the chassis. Does anyone know the power plate pin for a peavey 6505+. I think it's 3.
    Here's my schematic:
    http://www.schematicheaven.com/newam...ey_5150-II.pdf

Also... my amp has bias ports. Is it possible to discharge the caps through them?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Originally posted by taper420 View Post
    I'm not intending on acting on this assumption, but shouldn't this discharge the capacitors:
    Unplug amp. Turn amp on. Shouldn't any left over charge be depleted by this?

okay, now on the same topic.... right now I'm planning on discharging them with a resistor and connecting the + of each cap to chassis. ...
    Thanks in advance for the help.
    I can tell from your questions that this is kinda new...
    No, you can't just unplug any amp and turn it on to drain the high voltage caps, that's not how it works... the tubes have to have to be hot and conducting first.
    No, the bias ports have nothing to do with the high voltage supply.

Some guys have mentioned connecting a grounded lead to any plate load resistor, lugs 1 or 6 of the 9 pin preamp tube socket ... that will work but take a pretty long time to discharge high voltage caps upstream.

It looks like your amp has bleeder resistors on the main filter caps... so just unplug it with it in play mode and wait a few mins.
    I suspect the high voltage supply will be drained off to very safe level.
    Bruce

Mission Amps
    Denver, CO. 80022
    www.missionamps.com
    303-955-2412

Comment

No, the CORRECT procedure is to run the amp and pull the plug while it is running. Do NOT shut any switches, just unplug it. I usually have an open cable plugged in and touching the tip to hear when it's "done".

If an amp comes in non-operational, I always check the caps first for hidden "surprises".
      John R. Frondelli
      dBm Pro Audio Services, New York, NY

"Mediocre is the new 'Good' "

Comment

thanks for the help guys.
        it's kinda hard to unplug it when it's running when the point of opening it is to change a fuse cause it's not running. but i suppose it was run till dead when it originally blew (or perhaps it was prevented from doing so).

either way i took precautions and assumed the capacitors were dangerous. it was in and out to change the fuse, and i used one hand and made sure to not touch anything. i used a plastic fuse clip to remove the fuse and replace it.

the official peavey repair people didn't even bother to caution me... they just said unplug it and go.

baby's warming up right now... gonna go see if she still purrs.

Comment

Working...
        X