Pitfalls of shop space in same building with rehearsal studios

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pitfalls of shop space in same building with rehearsal studios

This morning, after returning an attempt to buy (on line at REI) a suitable sleeping bag for my replacement cot in my bedroom, I found the one that arrived via UPS Thursday was not only too narrow, it had only a few buttons holding it together rather than a traditional zipper (BUTTONS???!). Having returned that and a proper bag selected in REI, I drove on to my shop. I arrived at the parking lot in the back of the building where my shop is. There were road cases lined up along the long narrow driveway to the parking lot and in my parking space outside the rear doors, and, as always ticks me off, the double doors into the hallway were wide open again, with no activity thru them. AIR CONDITIONING BURBANK AGAIN! No doubt whoever does that repeats the same at home living in the hot San Fernando Valley in the summer!

My shop is just inside the door, and not having direct air conditioning ducts into my room, I rely on the hallway and the shop door open to stay cool. No idea how long the doors had been wide open, but that is a daily task to contend with....prop both doors open, shuffle the gear thru and go on about your business. Doors? What doors?

Then, after getting my coffee made and starting up with my record-keeping at the computer, open door behind me, I then hear the casters of one of the road cases from my client's Vox amp rolling away. Turn to see the absence of that amp, eyeballed the roady making off with it to elsewhere, and stopped him....WHERE ARE YOU GOING WITH THAT AMP? oh..into Studio 1. BRING IT BACK...THAT IS NOT YOUR GEAR! Really? I was told to bring all the gear along the wall into the studio.

And, as there are NO CenterStaging staff members in this building as there used to be, I seem to be continually selected as the knowledgeable supervisor for the complex to any/all who come thru those rear doors. Truck drivers with their clip board trying to make a deliver to me, clients trying to find so and so with a particular session, food delivery people trying to deliver hot food to so and so, inquiry for eating utensils and cups, water, etc. After some days with constant interruptions as those are, the question is asked of me "do you know where the bathroom is?" YES.

I've lucked out all the years I've been here. That's always been a fear of mine. There's no security at the studios, and thankfully nobody has taken advantage of that. More than once, in my haste and NOT thinking at the end of the day, I've gone home while leaving client's gear in their road cases outside the shop across from my shop door overnight, and discover my mistake coming back in the next day. So far, I haven't had to replace any client gear from that or what nearly happened.....gear taken and rolled into a client's room, and perhaps kept as it's a cool piece of gear, and can easily get loaded onto the cartage truck when load-out occurs.
    Logic is an organized way of going wrong with confidence

Ouch!!! A hairy situation, on many counts.

Just thinking aloud, not sure any of this is even possible:

Canīt you get an extra room? even if bare - unfurnished - not even lighting or windows or ventilation, just a door you can put a padlock on, as storage space.

Canīt you paint a visible line in the floor? labelled "reserved space, do not use"
    FWIW I HAD to do exactly that.
    I live in a Tourist street , chock full of shops, stalls, and 6 Restaurants just in my block.

Had "peace" since Quarantine started in March 2020 (one of the few "positive" aspects of it) but now Spring and Tourist season is about to start all Restaurant owners are moving tables outside, to the street because "open air accomodation" allows them to pack many more tables under Covid separation and breathing space rules.
    So they invade neighbourīs space with impunity (City authorities do not pursue them since they bring Tourist Dollars into tye city)

All of my street looks like a metallurgical shop with people building outside structures in the middle of the street and beyond, and trying to invade "my" space, so I painted a very visible Fluo Magenta (not kidding) at the "frontier" and warned all neighbours, one by one, that any structure even touching my line (which they canīt ignore unless blind as a bat) will be cut to pieces by my very hungry grinder.
    You can see them cutting their own box frame by themselves, now 10 inches outside the magenta line instead of 10 inches inside.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20210906-WA0002.jpeg
Views:	137
Size:	572.5 KB
ID:	941215
    Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

I spent a while with a guy who used to record small bands upstairs to my workshop.
      Some bands were good, others not so and it would be rude of me to mention names.
      It got very difficult one afternoon whilst tracing a fault in a small amplifier when the feint hum dissapears into the noise from upstairs on a regular basis.
      Later on that day I was working on an allegedly troublesome system; Crown VZ5000 for bass and sub with a VZ2500 for mid and top with a Nexo 8k rig set up with Behringer desk to take a listen. The 'fault' was very quiet on all channels except foldback/monitors etc.
      The 'fault' was no fault as the guy showing me the fault from his 32 channel desk was gobsmacked when I released the mute button that he had no idea was there.
      As I was using a CD player with Low Life in High Places by Thunder hit the crescendo, 2' 20" into the track, the mute was unleashed; 0db into 8kW = LOUD!
      The guy upstairs moved away shortly after that, the guy who owned the rig was next to the sub when it happened and still has that ringing in this ear. I always wear ear defenders and sustained no more damage to my ears after the JBL explosion incident back in the late 80s where I lost everything above 4kHZ in one ear but that's a long story.

Lesson was learnt by two people here, make lots of noise in an unsuitable location for a studio and one day the noise will be returned in the middle of an important recording session and the owner of the rig is a lot more careful now with buttons that he doesn't understand.

Support for Fender, Laney, Marshall, Mesa, VOX and many more. https://jonsnell.co.uk
      If you can't fix it, I probably can.

Comment

Couple years ago I had noise trouble with the exact same restaurant I show today, former owner, so one day I was fed up and put in my own window, pointing at them, a 4 x10" Bass cabinet, driven by my classic 300W Bass head, extended by a long curtain of annoying buzzy Piezo tweeters hanging over it, and treated them to tasty Anna Popovic.

Waiters could not understand customerīs orders, they could not talk to each other, Tango Dancers lost sync since they could not listen to backing dance tracks, people started paying and leaving, the works.

Of course they called Police (which they bribe regularly) and they started ringing first, then kicking my door.

I let them suffer for an endless half hour until I stopped and cut a mutual non sonic aggression deal which still holds today.

Had to do same thing about years ago with Restaurant owners somewhat further away, problem reappears with NEW Restaurant owners who do not know previous agreements.

This is my actual block on normal (pre Covid) times, lots of noise.

Thinking about selling my home/shop and moving away to a better place.
        Oh well.

Including a small 10" Fahey PA cabinet on a bench at left he he.
        Click image for larger version  Name:	cafe-bar-en-magallanes-el-caminito-la-boca-de-distrito-buenos-aires-argentina-2a4exy5.jpg Views:	0 Size:	309.8 KB ID:	941286

Click image for larger version  Name:	colourful-houses-street-market-and-steet-art-on-magallanes-in-la-boca-district-of-buenos-aires-argentina-2c6ey2y.jpg Views:	0 Size:	267.3 KB ID:	941287

Last edited by J M Fahey; 09-14-2021, 05:49 AM.
        Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Excellent!
          Support for Fender, Laney, Marshall, Mesa, VOX and many more. https://jonsnell.co.uk
          If you can't fix it, I probably can.

Comment

Originally posted by J M Fahey View Post
            problem reappears with NEW Restaurant owners who do not know previous agreements.
            New restaurant opens, immediately present owner/manager with a copy of your agreements. Make clear to them, THIS IS THE WAY IT IS, CROSS ME AT YOUR PERIL. Claim the former owner didn't mention it? You're being informed now mister/missus owner/manager, get with the program or suffer the consequences.

Like the Bavarian style statues, beer stein & lederhosen. What? In Argentina??? "I vass only corp'ral in Austrian Army!" (Don't worry I know all sorts of Europeans moved to Argentina including Irish.)

Also like the Magentinot Line on pavement. "Don't pretend you can't see this!"

This isn't the future I signed up for.

Comment

Working...
            X