Tubeworks RT-3100 noise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tubeworks RT-3100 noise

I've had this Tubeworks RT-3100 bass combo for quite some time and until recently has been troublefree.

The amp powers on and works fine for about 15-20 minutes, then there's a background sizzling sound that gradually gets louder over time. It increases to the point of being unbearable.
    This occurs with nothing plugged into the input and is not the result of interference from light dimmers, etc. It also manifests when I use an external cabinet instead of the internal speaker. I've also noticed that if I reach into the back of the combo and apply pressure to the sheetmetal, the pitch will change. I hypothesize that the power transformer has loose laminates that vibrate more as it warms up, but I don't know how to go beyond conjecture on that angle.

Because the problem manifests over time, I'm unsure how to go about diagnosing the problem. I've also had no luck finding schematics for this amp. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I don't have a schematic for that one, but the problem sounds heat related. I'd try to isolate the issue with freeze spray.
    "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

Isolate the problem. DO any of the control affect this noise in ANY way? Plug the guitar into the FX return jack and dial it to zero. Noise still there?

When something starts after a warm up period, I often spray the board with freeze spray
      Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Originally posted by Enzo View Post
        Isolate the problem. DO any of the control affect this noise in ANY way? Plug the guitar into the FX return jack and dial it to zero. Noise still there?

When something starts after a warm up period, I often spray the board with freeze spray
        Noise is constant, not altered by any of the controls (volume, 3-band cut-only EQ)
        I'll try the FX return jack this evening, but what are expected outcomes?

Comment

Your problem is noise. It comes from somewhere. So if you plug into the FX return, you are bypassing the preamp, so if the noise remains, then it is in the power amp. If the noise is no longer present, it was coming from the preamp.
          Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Bingo!

Comment

Just played it for about 20 minutes and as expected the noise appeared. Plugged the bass into the effects return loop and the noise is unchanged, so it's not the preamp section.
              I'm still suspecting the power transformer laminates but I don't know of a good way to prove or disprove it.
              Any suggestions are welcome.

Comment

Working...
              X