Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engl Power Ball channel changing issues

Hi all
    Well i'm still isolating after having Covid. But i was looking at this one before i went down with it
    It came in with with the reported fault of powering up but no sound. V5 having a O/C Anode resistor, Replaced the 100K ( By memory R9) it was all working, Once i checked it all out I found CH2 to very low output Where channel 1 was perfect.... Also found channel 1 or 2 Gain pots having an effect on the volume levels regardless of what channel is engaged
    When you select Channel 1 or 2 the LED for that channel is up and the other channel LED is off, Same on Foot s/w
    I traced the fault correctly i hope to LD1 or LD2 being faulty, I spoke to ENGL and was told no longer available
    Engl_powerball.pdf
    while im away was hoping to order the parts from somewhere so when i return i can catch up and replace them
    To get to them i have to remove the main board, was hoping just to remove the board and then replace and resolder all the board back.

any thoughts on my diagnoses and what ones i should get

Many thanks
    Mr A

I think you will find it is a very common Vactrol.
    https://www.newark.com/excelitas-tec...vrms/dp/43F885
    Support for Fender, Laney, Marshall, Mesa, VOX and many more. https://jonsnell.co.uk
    If you can't fix it, I probably can.

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Snell View Post
      I think you will find it is a very common Vactrol.
      https://www.newark.com/excelitas-tec...vrms/dp/43F885
      thanks. The link says its NLA , ebay have some from usa and china. Watford valves have some at over £10 each
      But at least i know what to change it for
      thanks
      MR A

Comment

I had an issue with an Engl recently and these from On Semi are electrically identical; Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2021-09-18 at 07.06.34.png
Views:	213
Size:	548.1 KB
ID:	941564
        And available from RS in the UK part number 807-6585
        They rarely fail unless like my repair, someone was fiddling and damagede two of them.
        These are direct replacements for the Egnator.
        Support for Fender, Laney, Marshall, Mesa, VOX and many more. https://jonsnell.co.uk
        If you can't fix it, I probably can.

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Snell View Post
          I had an issue with an Engl recently and these from On Semi are electrically identical; Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2021-09-18 at 07.06.34.png
Views:	213
Size:	548.1 KB
ID:	941564
          And available from RS in the UK part number 807-6585
          They rarely fail unless like my repair, someone was fiddling and damagede two of them.
          These are direct replacements for the Egnator.
          Thank you i will try them, cheaper than the others from Hot roxs or watford valves
          have a good day
          Mr A

Comment

You mention gain 1 and gain 2 (separately) so I imagine it's a Powerball II. I haven't had any but I have had many Powerball I and the switching system on these is made entirely with relays, just like Thunder, Screamer, R. Blackmore, Savage, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Pedro Vecino View Post
              You mention gain 1 and gain 2 (separately) so I imagine it's a Powerball II. I haven't had any but I have had many Powerball I and the switching system on these is made entirely with relays, just like Thunder, Screamer, R. Blackmore, Savage, etc.
              I got a very low Channel 2 channel 1 is ok whatever channel you are on the gain from both channel have an effect on the sound. Looking at the circuit you can see that the LD1 or LD2 are allowing the signal of choice to go into V5B

Comment

Thanks. It went unnoticed by me.

Comment

Working...
                X