Ampeg VL1002 MOD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ampeg VL1002 MOD

Looking to see if this board appears to have the mod the corrects the overheating issue or any other mods?

If you have some info about an overheating mod, please post it.
    Originally posted by Enzo
    I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

So many engineering change orders involve changing a resistor value or similar, so distant, whole-board photos are not really helpful.
      Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

I'm not familiar with mods for overheating, but rather mods for the heater wiring. I worked on one of these a couple years ago. Customer had me do the heater mods and to clip out two caps for faster switching circuitry. They are detailed in the following Lee Jackson video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MICW...nel=LeeJackson

Comment

Originally posted by g1 View Post
          If you have some info about an overheating mod, please post it.
          Molex connectors failing and cutting the connectors and wiring straight to board is what I picked up from another forum. There's also mention of that on this forum but no details or photos of it.

Comment

This is where we need to see the real item. When you say mod to prevent overheating, a technician assumes you mean the amp overheats. But when you talk about soldering wires instead of using molex connectors, the nit sounds more like they want to avoid CONNECTOR PINS from overheating. Vastly different.

Usually the connector pins that overheat and burn are in the heater wiring. No other pins really carry much current.
            Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Here are a few photos of the VL1002 that I had. Very clearly had a Molex connector problem and the previous tech soldered in some wires rather sketchy.

If you watch the Lee Jackson video, he shows the entire mod process for the heater connector mod and relay switching mod.
              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Delta362 View Post
                Here are a few photos of the VL1002 that I had. Very clearly had a Molex connector problem and the previous tech soldered in some wires rather sketchy.

If you watch the Lee Jackson video, he shows the entire mod process for the heater connector mod and relay switching mod.
                Thanks for the photos. Looks like mine has the mod. Photo attached.

Comment

I don't spot the soldered wires.

Comment

Originally posted by Enzo View Post
                    I don't spot the soldered wires.
                    I believe the 8 yellow wires going directly to the board is the heater mod?

Comment

Aha, my aging eyesight. I believe you are correct.

Comment

Originally posted by ca7922303 View Post
                        Looking to see if this board appears to have the mod the corrects the overheating issue or any other mods?
                        I've spotted what looks like 4-holes burnt in to the power tube board at each power tubes #1 pin. Amp works great but I'm curious if this is also part of the heater mod if anyone knows?

Comment

Originally posted by ca7922303 View Post

I've spotted what looks like 4-holes burnt in to the power tube board at each power tubes #1 pin. Amp works great but I'm curious if this is also part of the heater mod if anyone knows?
                          Correction: Pin#5 it looks like.

Comment

Pin 5 is the control grid and wouldn't likely be part of a heater mod. My bet is that the board was conductive and this is an attempt to get bias voltage stable by removing grid pin connection from the board.
                            "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

Working...
                            X