Power Transformer confusion Fender Prosonic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by The Dude View Post
    Well, the transformer diagram in post one shows a 364-0-364 transformer, so your reading is approximately what I'd expect from red to red secondary leads.
    Lovely! I had a suspicion but really appreciate some confirmation before hooking this into something. Appreciate it!

Comment

Sorry, seems my instructions have caused more confusion than been of much help. Hopefully this drawing will clear things up. And The Dude is quite right, measuring from Red-to-Red will get you about 728VAC under load, likely higher unloaded.
      Click image for larger version

Name:	Prosonic.png
Views:	80
Size:	26.8 KB
ID:	947724

Comment

Confirmed, works great wired as such for anyone who may need to repeat this:

BLK HOT ---> Thermistor ----> Violet ---(internally connected to...BK/RED)

BLACK RED/BLACK (BLK/RED TERMINAL)

YEL/BLK + GRN/BK + Neutral at M2

Comment

If the Mercury drawing is correct, both 0V wires (Yellow/Black+Green/Black) and both 120V wires (Black+Red/Black or Violet) should be tied together.
          One must only parallel same (and in-phase) voltages.
          Reversing the leads of one winding results in a short.
          Last edited by Helmholtz; 12-21-2021, 11:03 PM.
          - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

Originally posted by Greg Robinson View Post
            Sorry, seems my instructions have caused more confusion than been of much help. Hopefully this drawing will clear things up. And The Dude is quite right, measuring from Red-to-Red will get you about 728VAC under load, likely higher unloaded.
            Greg, even if it was confusing I appreciate every answer I get on here! I think that your drawing may still be incorrect, although I think I mat have solved the mystery... is the second half of the primary inverted on the MM schematic from what we expect from the Prosonic? AS in, we are all reading it upside down?

If we "flip" the bottom half of the dual primaries, white and white/blk are still floating, but we'd swap BLACK/YELLOW with BLACK and all becomes hunky dory wired as below!:

BLACK RED/BLACK (BLK?RED TERMINAL)

YEL/BLK + GRN/BK +Neutral

Perhaps my explanation is wrong, but this wiring is confirmed as correct, putting out good voltages on tubes with a rectifier installed.

Comment

Oh great, so Mercury Magnetics have kept the same colour-code, but changed the phase arrangement of the primary windings? Thanks a lot
              Click image for larger version

Name:	ProsonicIII.png
Views:	93
Size:	198.3 KB
ID:	947733

Comment

Originally posted by Mr_bibbles View Post

Greg, even if it was confusing I appreciate every answer I get on here! I think that your drawing may still be incorrect, although I think I mat have solved the mystery... is the second half of the primary inverted on the MM schematic from what we expect from the Prosonic? AS in, we are all reading it upside down?

If we "flip" the bottom dual primaries, white and white/blk are still floating, but we'd swap BLACK/YELLOW with BLACK and all becomes hunky dory wired as below!:

BLACK RED/BLACK (BLK?RED TERMINAL)

YEL/BLK + GRN/BK +Neutral
                Yep, turns out Mercury have changed the phase arrangement of the primary windings but kept the same colour code, I suppose just to be deliberate dicks? I can't think of any other reason to do that, and it's just cruel.

Comment

Originally posted by Greg Robinson View Post

Yep, turns out Mercury have changed the phase arrangement of the primary windings but kept the same colour code, I suppose just to be deliberate dicks? I can't think of any other reason to do that, and it's just cruel.
                  "broooo that's where the tone comes from, bro. It's how I get all the extra HEAT and BALLS out of my amplifier. It's got MOJO!"

TYVM all involved especially Greg because without your guide I wouldn't understand what I was TRYING to do. Cheers!

Comment

They still had it labelled as 120V and 0V terminals as far as the phasing goes.
                    That was the way I thought it was going from post #1 & #2. I guess I missed that it was not being done that way.
                    Glad you got it sorted out.
                    Originally posted by Enzo
                    I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Working...
                    X