How NOT to............

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How NOT to............

Started to refurb a blackface Pro Reverb today. This is what I found when I pulled the chassis. I guess you can fit oversized caps "in" the dog house if you're willing to put in the effort.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Dog-House.jpg Views:	0 Size:	120.7 KB ID:	947343
    "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

When the RV won't fit in the garage...
    --
    I build and repair guitar amps
    http://amps.monkeymatic.com

Comment

Supposed to put a little piece of carpet on there so the dog can go in and out.
      Originally posted by Enzo
      I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

I could fix that with my TIG welder....
        If it ain't broke I'll fix it until it is...
        I have just enough knowledge to be dangerous...

Comment

Originally posted by g1 View Post
          Supposed to put a little piece of carpet on there so the dog can go in and out.
          Yeah, I guess a dog house should have a doggy door.

Comment

Originally posted by galaxiex View Post
            I could fix that with my TIG welder....
            I'm going to bend it back into shape and run a solder bead along the rips. It won't be pretty, but I'll put the buggered up part on the knob side so you won't see it anyway. And of course, get caps that fit.

Comment

That.s definitely the biggest crap I saw in an amp, ever . I can even imagine the despair and satisfaction of those guy, very suprarealistic...gave a sense what term of butcher meant...
              Last edited by catalin gramada; 12-17-2021, 12:41 AM.
              "If it measures good and sounds bad, it is bad. If it measures bad and sounds good, you are measuring the wrong things."

Comment

but they're bulgy and bad right? What's their value? Modern caps that size would have 3x the uF usually!

Comment

Yes- bulgy and bad. The amp is getting re-capped anyway, so replacing the oversized caps isn't an additional cost. New caps will fit just fine, as intended. It's just the idea of bastardizing the dog house to fit them that killed me.

Comment

I have a blackface Showman with that exact same alteration. It is also heavily modded and gooped with silicon caulk and black spray paint. Yeah, someone thought they were a genius..

Comment

Just use original duct tape it can fix anything!!
                      When the going gets weird... The weird turn pro!

Comment

All that does is just piss me off. WTF?
                        It's weird, because it WAS working fine.....

Comment

Amprepairparts.com has them for $24. Probably get them elsewhere.

COmpare that to the labor involved in "repair" to that cobble job.
                          Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

As Enzo states, replace the housing. Not expensive and it will be as it should again.
                            Don't use Duct tape, that is a total bodge and makes you as bad as the idiot that did the last repair job.
                            Support for Fender, Laney, Marshall, Mesa, VOX and many more. https://jonsnell.co.uk
                            If you can't fix it, I probably can.

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Snell View Post
                              As Enzo states, replace the housing. Not expensive and it will be as it should again.
                              Don't use Duct tape, that is a total bodge and makes you as bad as the idiot that did the last repair job.
                              Well I was channeling the idiot reaper guy and how he might fix his mess. We’ll call him Black Death the Reaper Guy.
                              When the going gets weird... The weird turn pro!

Comment

Working...
                              X