Grainy mild distortion on notes when set to clean EL34 hiwat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grainy mild distortion on notes when set to clean EL34 hiwat

Im getting grainy mild fizzy distortion on guitar notes when set to clean on a Hiwat DR,504 EL34. Bias is set to a medium draw. No DC leaking on the coupling caps that I can detect with DMM. The voltages appear in spec throughout.

Fizzy distortion is usually a bias issue. How much current are the EL34s drawing when idling and no signal?
    Support for Fender, Laney, Marshall, Mesa, VOX and many more. https://jonsnell.co.uk
    If you can't fix it, I probably can.

Comment

Im getting 28ma and 32ma on V5-V6 no signal.

Comment

Have you got access to an oscilloscope to find out where it eminates from?
        Clean channel?
        Click image for larger version  Name:	Screenshot 2022-01-03 at 22.19.27.png Views:	0 Size:	12.4 KB ID:	948680
        I would check the anode load resistors.
        Support for Fender, Laney, Marshall, Mesa, VOX and many more. https://jonsnell.co.uk
        If you can't fix it, I probably can.

Comment

My Tektronix scope took a dive on me. Its mild but you can hear this slight dirty fuzz on the notes when your on clean, a real pain to try and track down. Thanks Jon, I will check those a report back.

Comment

I take it that you have eliminated the speaker as a suspect?
            Originally posted by Enzo
            I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

I did and good call. Re-tensioned the sockets as well and checked the grid resistors. Also chop sticking around for any cold joints, no luck.

Comment

Got the O-scope going again the wave looks generally clean with a 1k sine. On the output tranny tap there is noise around the wave and the the wave is a bit wooly looking at V2.

Comment

on the notes decay you can hear some mild trash and the lower volume settings its not clean and thick as it should be. Its not immediately obvious at louder settings.

Comment

Have you checked for oscillation, i.e., turn the scope time base way up and look for ringing or other hash?

Comment

Working...
                    X