A question about cleaning contacts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A question about cleaning contacts

In a recent conversation, I was advised to clean this or that component of my amplifier circuit.
    Since it is an operation that I have never done, looking on the net I saw that the most used solution is the one through the use of sprays for cleaning electronic contacts and compressed air.
    I therefore acquired these products, but I would like to ask you if there are any particular precautions to pay attention to, before starting to spray liquids on the circuits.
    Thanks everyone for the help!

It depends on what you want to clean and what cleaner you have.

For metal contacts and pots I mainly use Deoxit D5. Whenever possible I apply the cleaner with a Q-Tip, a toothpick or a small dental brush.

Solder flux is best removed with alcohol (either ethyl or isopropyl).

To remove grease and wax, naphta (lighter fluid) works great.

Avoid acetone as it's too aggressive on plastics and coatings.

Most cleaners are flammable.
    Last edited by Helmholtz; 01-06-2022, 04:23 PM.
    - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

Is this a guitar amp, or some other type?

Comment

Originally posted by Helmholtz View Post
        It depends on what you want to clean and what cleaner you have.

For metal contacts and pots I mainly use Deoxit D5. Whenever possible I apply the cleaner with a Q-Tip, a toothpick or a small dental brush.

Solder flux is best removed with alcohol (either ethyl or isopropyl).

To remove grease and wax, naphta (lighter fluid) works great.

Avoid acetone as it's too aggressive on plastics and coatings.

Most cleaners are flammable.
        Thanks for your reply!
        The product I've bought is made by an italian company. Here is the description: Quick evaporating degreasing deoxidizer for electronic and electrical contacts. Extremely active against oxides, dirt, grease, carbon residues, welding flux residues etc. It is essential to ensure perfect cleaning of contacts whether they are copper-plated, sliding, graphite, silver, gold, etc. While presenting a very high dissolving power, the DSS-110 has no effect on elastomers, plastics, rubbers, painted parts, computer chassis, monitors etc. Used on electrical equipment and good practice do not operate if they are live, however make sure that the product has completely evaporated before reconnecting power to the circuit.
        It looks like it can be used on every parts.

Comment

I'm sure there's more than one good contact cleaner.
          Generally I'm sceptical regarding "All in One" products.
          I would be especially careful with pots.
          In any case apply sparingly.
          But you will find out and hopefully let us know your results.

I mainly mentioned the other solvents, because they are cheap and perfect for special applications without leaving any residue.
          Last edited by Helmholtz; 01-06-2022, 05:44 PM.
          - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

Originally posted by Mick Bailey View Post
            Is this a guitar amp, or some other type?
            It's a guitar amp

Comment

Use sparingly on contacts (sockets, pins, switches). Do not use on potentiometers.....

Comment

Originally posted by quad4 View Post
                Use sparingly on contacts (sockets, pins, switches). Do not use on potentiometers.....
                So you've used DSS-110?
                - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

I think in general, cleaners that have no lubricant can alter the feel of pots. So their use for pots is generally frowned on. That may be what quad4 was referring to.
                  I usually use de-oxit D5 for switches and jacks, and their F5 for pots and faders. Although I was under the impression even D5 left some residue (lube) behind.
                  Originally posted by Enzo
                  I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Many general-purpose contact cleaners can leave pots worse off afterwards. There can be some initial improvement, but often short lived. Specific cleaners such as Deoxit and Kontakt PR leave behind a suitable lubricant that doesn't consequently dry up and they're proven to have long term results. That's not to say that there aren't other brands that work well, but I haven't found anything else as good. When cleaning pots it's often better to first blow out any dust with compressed air and use only a small amount of cleaner. You don't want to dissolve the shaft lubricant and with nylon shafted pots in particular some cleaners will cause the shaft to bind. With metal shafts excessive use of cleaner will cause loss of feel.

When cleaning shorting contacts (guitar inputs etc), I insert a strip of paper between the contacts, wet it with contact cleaner, and pull it through a few times. This means working from inside the amp, but cleans the contacts much better than just squirting them.

For cleaning dirty 1/4" sockets I've found a piece of 1/4" wood dowel shaped like a plug (chuck a length in a battery drill and use a file to get the shape) and wetted with contact cleaner gets them clean - insert the dummy plug and rotate it by hand to remove deposits, then clean it off before doing the next.

Take special care with cleaning tube sockets. I prefer not to spray anything on them, as most issues are a result of poor contact pressure and a re-tension and 'exercising' the socket a few times by inserting and removing a tube will give better results. You don't want anything that can leave behind any form of deposit that can cause tracking between tube pins.

Comment

Working...
                    X