Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vintage Ampeg B15-NF speaker replacement

Hi,

I have an Ampeg B15-NF on the bench, the speaker has an open coil.
    Which replacement speaker would you recommend to keep the voicing as close as possible to the original ?

Thanks

There are two popular replacements among the users: beta 15a and delta 15 (better pro 15a version) from Eminence. I didn.t own a portaflex but used both speakers in 3cf cabs and beta have not the high mids enough for a good bass guitar presentation from my point. I think a EV15B will be a nice replacement too if you find one in good condition.
    Be aware at the size of magnet if you store the amp upside down in cabinet. I think this is the biggest problem which limit the choice of speakers you may use...
    This is my RJ type cab project I built years ago, pretty similar as principle and internal volume as portaflex is, used to test beta 15 and delta 15 from Eminence:
    The second baffle slide in front of speaker baffle by easy 4 screw adjustments to easy tune the RJ type port.( I remember portaflex used some rubber pipe pieces in between to tune the port...)
    Attached Files
    Last edited by catalin gramada; 01-07-2022, 05:51 PM.
    "If it measures good and sounds bad, it is bad. If it measures bad and sounds good, you are measuring the wrong things."

Comment

Ok, thank you for your feedback.
      I forgot to mention, the amp will be only used in studio, if that matters

Comment

Is recone not an option for this? I have no idea if the materials are available, but it seems a recone would be preferable if possible.

Comment

Also check tinsel leads. It could be as simple as a broken lead.
          "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

I put an Eminence Beta 15A in mine. I like it better than the stock square magnet speaker from the factory.
            It's weird, because it WAS working fine.....

Comment

Thanks for your feedback.

Originally posted by The Dude View Post
              Also check tinsel leads. It could be as simple as a broken lead.
              Checked it, seems ok. One time I had the case of a burned tinsel lead, it didn't measure open but it was enough to impair the sound.

I think I'll go with the popular opinion, beta 15A is often mentioned, I'll try that !
              Last edited by Rutherberg; 01-12-2022, 04:41 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X