Egnator...argghh..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Egnator...argghh..

If I ever meet him, he got some splainin' to do.

What a nightmare to remove the power supply board on this Renegade and others.

Just to replace some stupid caps.

I've done it before, power transformer's too.

#&$@#$&$#!!!!

Are you talking about the amps he builds in the Detroit area? Or the commercial amps with his name on them that are made in some offshore place?

I am not sure how COVID has affected this, but Egnater has amp building classes. You pay for one of his amp kits, and you spend three days learning about it and building it under his supervision.

But he also has "teaching only" classes from time to time. It looks like this coming May. A friend of mine attended one of those and liked it.

https://www.facebook.com/egnater.amp.building/
    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

I had one of those Renegades for a minute. Man that was a boring sounding amp. Maybe it needed a different brand of tubes (preamp or power) but man it was dull. Couldn't really tell the difference between the 6L6 and the EL34s either.

Comment

I have a client with a Renegade and I see it every two years for a service; new output valves. It is gigged most nights in europe and the UK when the band is home.
        I insist on using Sovtek Winged C output valves for EL34s and 5881s for the 6L6s, that way I have a known bias point to set up.
        Apart from being far too complicated for its own good and too expensive, (a decent foot pedal will cover all sounds it makes), it has been reliable after a few minor mods to component wattages etc when it was new.
        Like all new vehicles, the engine is built and then fitted in the body.
        Support for Fender, Laney, Marshall, Mesa, VOX and many more. https://jonsnell.co.uk
        If you can't fix it, I probably can.

Comment

Fantastic designs and amps to be sure, but if you've ever worked on the blond one's with several pc boards and cables running everywhere, they are quite time consuming

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Snell View Post
            far too complicated for its own good and too expensive
            Gets my vote!

This isn't the future I signed up for.

Comment

Working...
            X