Ampeg B12XT Channel 1 Tone Issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ampeg B12XT Channel 1 Tone Issues

Got a Fliptop B12XT on the bench. Amp has been recapped and channel 2 sounds bassy/lush but channel 1 has the ice pick highs and lacks bass with the controls set the same. Coupling caps and resistors have tested in spec up this point. Looking at the schematic, I noticed that Channel 1 only goes through the "vibrato" circuit and this is where I start to get some differences in tone between the two channels. Anyone familiar with these amps and can set me straight if this is a circuit issue or just how they are designed?

schematic

Comment

Ch.1 from treble wiper goes through .005 cap, ch.2 has 470K resistor but no cap there.
      Originally posted by Enzo
      I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

I noticed that and temp added a .047 but didn't make much a difference.

Comment

The corner frequency with the 5nF cap is 27Hz.
          - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

Digging into this a little further and the tone controls utilize couplets, and the tone variation appears to be coming from these. Bummer.

Comment

I like Haiku myself , but do you mean those little P.E.C. RC networks? If not too complex they can always be replaced by discrete components.
              I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Originally posted by tdlunsfo View Post
                Digging into this a little further and the tone controls utilize couplets, and the tone variation appears to be coming from these. Bummer.
                I can't find a useful German translation for couplet. What does it mean?
                - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

I think he is referring to these: https://www.fliptops.net/catalog/p-1...ge-ampegs-used

Comment

That's them. Sorry I've seen this term used on numerous occasions and I assumed it was a part of the amp tech vernacular. Customer didn't want to fool with them so I guess I can call it good. Really cool amp but really heavy.

https://retrovoltage.com/2014/10/09/...tric-circuits/
                    Last edited by tdlunsfo; 01-19-2022, 11:00 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X