Another Marshall avt thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another Marshall avt thread

Greetings. So I’ve read pages and pages of avt issues but none seem to match mine. I had a pop then the front leds went out. I replaced the 2 2.2ohm resistors and yay fans and lights back on BUT. I got an awful hum through my speakers. With it without a guitar plugged in and no matter where my vol settings are this hum is the same very loud. Upon investigation I have 45/50v at loudspeaker left Jack. Headphones and emulated line out next to headphones. The hum is present through the headphones socket and the fx lines make no difference, I’ve put a brand new jj tube in too. I’m completely lost, why do I have this voltage on the outputs I can’t see any visible issues with the pcb or components. Any help would be fab guys. Ta

Avt 275 btw

Comment

Most likely lost your output transistors. schematic attached
      nosaj
      Attached Files
      soldering stuff that's broken, breaking stuff that works, Yeah!

Comment

Most bad parts don't look any different. DC on the output is a very common failure mode of solid state amps, particularly the one-chip type.

When an amp goes to DC, the result will almost always be a loud hum. TURN IT OFF, that "loud hum" will destroy your speaker.

Most likely a bad TDA7293
        Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Originally posted by Enzo View Post
          Most bad parts don't look any different. DC on the output is a very common failure mode of solid state amps, particularly the one-chip type.

When an amp goes to DC, the result will almost always be a loud hum. TURN IT OFF, that "loud hum" will destroy your speaker.

ah ok. I’ll look at replacing them. I’ve read I need to make sure the caps are discharged before plugging back in?

Comment

Originally posted by nosaj View Post
            Most likely lost your output transistors. schematic attached
            nosaj
            Thanks I’ll look there then

Comment

Originally posted by Milcman View Post

Ive read I need to make sure the caps are discharged before plugging back in?
              Most definitley a Yes.

Comment

so both are replaced with all the caps reading 0 before I plugged anything back in. Still the same no change. I’m at a bit of a loss where to go next to be honest

Comment

Are you still getting the loud hum? Did you already have the tda7293 on hand?
                  nosaj

Comment

Just to clarify, it's not so much the loud hum but rather the (inaudible) DC current which destroys the speaker.
                    45VDC across an 8 Ohm speaker will heat the voice coil(s) by around 250W without a chance of convection cooling as with AC.
                    The audible hum is just increased ripple caused by the excessive DC current the power supply is delivering to the speaker.
                    Last edited by Helmholtz; 01-28-2022, 12:08 AM.
                    - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

Originally posted by nosaj View Post
                      Are you still getting the loud hum? Did you already have the tda7293 on hand?
                      nosaj
                      I installed two stmicroelectronics 7293. The hum is actually now present on both loudspeaker inputs. I can’t see anything else that could be the issue.

Comment

Disconnect your speakers and see what dc voltage you have at the speaker terminals.
                        nosaj

Comment

Working...
                        X