Kendrick Gusher

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kendrick Gusher

I have a 4x10 Kendrick Gusher (50w) that has recently started to malfunction and I am trying to troubleshoot it.

I love this amp and it's my main player.

When I turn the amp on it sounds OK for a minute then the sounds gets muddy and the power tubes are clearly running too hot. Despite the power tubes running at what appears full bore and throwing off significant heat, the sound does not get appreciably louder.

Then, I have seen sparks at the top of the rectifier tube and then the fuse blows. I tried the rectifier tue in another amp and it weeems to work OK.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Mark

Originally posted by squank View Post
    I have a 4x10 Kendrick Gusher (50w) that has recently started to malfunction and I am trying to troubleshoot it.

I love this amp and it's my main player.

When I turn the amp on it sounds OK for a minute then the sounds gets muddy and the power tubes are clearly running too hot. Despite the power tubes running at what appears full bore and throwing off significant heat, the sound does not get appreciably louder.

Then, I have seen sparks at the top of the rectifier tube and then the fuse blows. I tried the rectifier tue in another amp and it weeems to work OK.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Mark
    Sounds like a bad power tube or power tubes and now... a weakened/damaged rectifier tube... it should not be throwing of sparks!!
    Bruce

Mission Amps
    Denver, CO. 80022
    www.missionamps.com
    303-955-2412

Comment

Kendrick Gusher

Well, I tried replacing the power tubes and nothing has changed.

I'm stumped.

Could this be cuased by the pre-amp tubes? I was ruling it out becuase the volume didn't really go up. I just got very grainy, like an oscillation.

Mark

Comment

Why don't you just email or call Gerald Weber, he is more than helpful, in fact look at this excerpt from his most recent newsletter...

"Dear Friends,

I thank all of you for your friendship, your business, and your commitment to great tone. Let me know if there is anything I can do for you. Even if you don't want to buy anything, just let me know how I can help you.

Kindest Personal Regards,
        Gerald Weber
        "

If he can't help you with your Kendrick then I'm going to go out on a limb and say "NO ONE CAN!"

Don

Comment

What plate current do you have?

If the power tubes are running very hot then the amp won't be as loud as it should.

Comment

Don:

I totally agree with you, Gerald could probably fix it easily, he is the best. Unfortunately the money just isn't there right now and I was hoping it was something I could figure out myself as I have some skills. If I can't do it, it will likely sit for a while.

Regards,

Mark

Originally posted by Don Doucette View Post
            Why don't you just email or call Gerald Weber, he is more than helpful, in fact look at this excerpt from his most recent newsletter...

"Dear Friends,

I thank all of you for your friendship, your business, and your commitment to great tone. Let me know if there is anything I can do for you. Even if you don't want to buy anything, just let me know how I can help you.

Kindest Personal Regards,
            Gerald Weber
            "

If he can't help you with your Kendrick then I'm going to go out on a limb and say "NO ONE CAN!"

Don

Comment

Also check that the cathode bias/fixed bias switch is working right.

Comment

Kendrick Gusher

This Gusher is a little bit of an oddity, it's the only 4x10 gusher I've come across and it does not have the cathode/fixed bias switch. There's a place for it but it has never had a switch.

Originally posted by MWJB View Post
                Also check that the cathode bias/fixed bias switch is working right.

Comment

I wasn't suggesting Gerald do the repair, but rather that you talk to him and he can help diagnose the problem. I bet he'd be happy to hear from you!

Comment

Yes, he usually answers the phone and is glad to help with questions about his products.

Comment

Originally posted by squank View Post
                      Well, I tried replacing the power tubes and nothing has changed.

Mark
                      After you replaced the power tubes, what did you set the bias to?

Comment

I have spoken to Gerald via email a lot over the years about different topics,and I dont even own one of his amps.He has always been very responsive/helpful to me,I am sure he would do the same for someone concerning his own product.Drop him a line.

Comment

Blown Fuse

Try removing the power and rectifier tubes and see if the fuse still blows. If the fuse still blows then I would check the Output, power Transformers, and Filter Caps.
                          Helping musicians optimize their sound.

Comment

Working...
                          X