Remove silver insert in knobs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Remove silver insert in knobs?

Is there an easy way I can remove the silver insert on a broken knob so I can glue it on a knob that is missing its insert?

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1139.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	660.2 KB
ID:	951957

Try boiling water - or acetone (not boiling!)
    - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

They should just be glued in. So boiling water as mentioned, or hair dryer etc. should warm enough to soften the glue. You will still probably need a pin or something to pick it out.
      With the example in the picture, I think you could also punch it out from the back.
      Originally posted by Enzo
      I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

It is already broken, so I would take side cutters or something and chip away the sides of the volcano to expose the edge of the insert. Then you could get under it with an Xacto blade or a jeweler's screwdriver or whatever tool you like.

I'd be afraid to punch through from the back, I might collapse the shallow cone shape.
        Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Hot bath and maybe pry tools. Plastic pick tools for dismantling phones and laptops without damage.

Comment

Have you checked for a set screw?
            nosaj
            The reason I ask is i did that very thing early on. Pull a knob off and the shaft came too.
            soldering stuff that's broken, breaking stuff that works, Yeah!

Comment

Originally posted by Enzo View Post
              It is already broken, so I would take side cutters or something and chip away the sides of the volcano to expose the edge of the insert. Then you could get under it with an Xacto blade or a jeweler's screwdriver or whatever tool you like.

I'd be afraid to punch through from the back, I might collapse the shallow cone shape.
              That's what I would do, also. The knob itself is already broken, so chip away enough of it to get under the insert.
              "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

Working...
              X