Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

R.G. Keen apparently designed 2 Thompson VOX Beatle rebuild boards - only one set of documentation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• R.G. Keen apparently designed 2 Thompson VOX Beatle rebuild boards - only one set of documentation

After a long search, I was able to purchase one of R.G. Keen's VOX Beatle rebuild boards. I also was able to download a copy of his documentation for building and installing the board in a Beatle amp.
    Surprise!
    The Board I purchased is labeled V11X1 Series - this represents the initial design of this circuit. It has the Distortion circuit before the Normal Preamp, no Repeat Percussion, and relay switching.
    The documentation is for a 11X3 Series - the last series with Distortion after the Normal Preamp, includes Percussion, JFET switching, and direct reverb drive.
    While much of the design overlaps, or can be followed using the V1141 service manual , there are a couple of places the Keen documentation can't be used.
    1 - the MTB switching appears to be the same FET switching as as the later design - but the circuit schematic of the 1143 doesn't quite match the layout on the V1141 board.
    2 - there is one less voltage regulator IC on the V1141 board
    3 - while the V1141 board uses a relay to switch the Distortion circuit, the relay isn't the same as the original.

Has anyone ever seen documentation for the V11X1 board - may listed as a Buckingham or Royal Guardsman? There is no link (broken or otherwise) for this board on Geofex. Every search for the board documentation tracks down the V1143 version.
    Even just the schematics of the new board ( I have the original V1141 set) would answer all of the questions that the V1143 documents don't answer.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated
    Michael

R.G.
    Originally posted by Enzo
    I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

RG graciously sent me a copy of the 2016 Vox Owner's Safety Net book, and the 700 Preamp board V1R0. I've stuffed the board, but have yet to connect all the pots and switches. It sadly sits in the stack of projects to get around to. Not sure if this is of any help.

Comment

Working...
      X