Cheap effective whitener

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cheap effective whitener

The button on the right spent a few days in a clear plastic bag filled with hydrogen peroxide out in the Pacific Northwest winter sun. I left it for a few days and am sure it would work faster in the summer sun. (BTW it looks even whiter in person.)

The button on the left is the control group and nothing was done to it.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1261.jpg Views:	2 Size:	179.9 KB ID:	953834
    Last edited by Axtman; 02-27-2022, 05:51 PM.

Originally posted by Axtman View Post
    The button on the right spent a few days in a clear plastic bag filled with hydrogen peroxide out in the Pacific Northwest winter sun. I left it for a few days and am sure it would work faster in the summer sun. (BTW it looks even whiter in person.)

The button on the left is the control group and nothing was done to it.

Click image for larger version Name:	IMG_1261.jpg Views:	2 Size:	179.9 KB ID:	953834
    That's cool...but what are we looking at? Do you think the strong oxidising action of the H2O2 could weaken the plastic....thing?

Comment

This is not my idea. I am just passing on information. There is a bunch of information and videos on the internet where this procedure is explaned. It seems this is popular with retro gamers and people that collect old computers as a way of brightening yellowed plastic.

This procedure is also referred to as "retrobright": https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Retr0bright

Comment

Cool idea, I'm filing that one away for future use.

Comment

Thanks

As with anything else, trying is better than guessing.

ALL plastics degrade one way or another, not sure this might worsen things much.
          Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Originally posted by J M Fahey View Post
            Thanks

As with anything else, trying is better than guessing.

ALL plastics degrade one way or another, not sure this might worsen things much.
            I considered that and did some short searching regarding vintage plastics and sensitivity to hydrogen peroxide. I didn't find anything with a shallow search. Being as they've packaged the product in plastic bottles for as long as I can remember, combined with my not being able to find a published problem I'll guess this is a pretty good method/solution.
            "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
            You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

There are people who pay good money for that yellowed look.
              "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

Originally posted by The Dude View Post
                There are people who pay good money for that yellowed look.
                I'm going to point that out next time I get any guff from my dentist. Though maybe that's more brownish. Teeth was the first thing to mind when I saw the thread title, and I think they use peroxide for that too (in very tiny amounts, see post #11 below! ).
                Last edited by g1; 03-01-2022, 03:08 AM.
                Originally posted by Enzo
                I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Vintage Relic'd choppers!
                  Thats my niche!

As a chemist this process looks good:
                  http://www.retrofixes.com/2013/10/ho...-plastics.html

the use of 12% H2O2 will make everything faster! 30% is nasty and usually good to avoid..

Do not add acetone to any conc H2O2! Mother of Satan!

Anti UV additives (often polyamines) can stop this from happening again, Museum Conservation Supply houses are good sources of small amounts of these additives, see here:
                  https://museumservicescorporation.co...069ec630&_ss=r

Comment

Originally posted by g1 View Post

I'm going to point that out next time I get any guff from my dentist. Though maybe that's more brownish. Teeth was the first thing to mind when I saw the thread title, and I think they use peroxide for that too.
                    As an avid consumer of "-ines", I can relate.
                    "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

FWIW anyone looking into this chemical for any use should be aware that there's hydrogen peroxide, and then there's HYDROGEN PEROXIDE. The dilution offered over the counter at drug stores is one thing. But it's not especially hard to get industrial strength hydrogen peroxide since it isn't used in the manufacture of any drugs (as far as I know). But industrial hydrogen peroxide is so caustic it will melt the flesh right off of you. So, everyone reading everywhere, depending on what you have at your disposal, pay attention to concentration ratios. Keep in mind that higher concentrations of hydrogen peroxide is used for things like a component of rocket fuels, epoxy activators and lab sample "purification" methods. Just breathing the vapors can be permanently harmful. The pharmaceutical stuff at the local drug store is fairly innocuous, but if what you get isn't THAT then you need to be aware of what you're handling. For the sake of your parts AND yourself.
                      "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
                      You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Tecmich and Chuck,

You guys bring up very good point. Thanks.

The stuff I used was cheap drugstore 3% concentration hydrogen peroxide. Maybe the low concentration and lack of really bright sunlight is why it took the button a long time to whitten.

Click image for larger version  Name:	H2O2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	21.3 KB ID:	954192

Comment

I tried the hydrogen peroxide in a bag trick with a black light (very close) and it worked great!

Comment

Working...
                          X