No announcement yet.

Fender Bassman 50 AB165 Rebuild Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Please look at the schematic, upper right under NOTICE. Read note #1.

This is just a guitar amp, not a precision lab instrument. A few percent variation in voltages is expected.
    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

And note #4

Adjust for minimum hum

Comment

After some trials, I swapped that 15K to 11.8K and I now have about 31mA on each tube! Thank you!

Comment

Originally posted by misterc57 View Post
          After some trials, I swapped that 15K to 11.8K and I now have about 31mA on each tube! Thank you!
          One of the resistors you replaced was a 220K (at the junction of the two 10K's coming off the balance pot).
          In the later picture it is a very small bodied part. It does not look to me like the color code for a 220K, please double check it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	resistor.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	55.4 KB
ID:	954604

Originally posted by Enzo
          I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Originally posted by g1 View Post

One of the resistors you replaced was a 220K (at the junction of the two 10K's coming off the balance pot).
            In the later picture it is a very small bodied part. It does not look to me like the color code for a 220K, please double check it.
            Thank you!

Yes, I find myself doing a double take every time I use those. They are very precise 220K 1/2 W Metal Film

Mouser part # 594-SFR16S0002203FR5

Click image for larger version  Name:	594-SFR16S0002203FR5.jpg Views:	0 Size:	702.0 KB ID:	954610

Reading the spec I just noticed these only have a 200V operating voltage. https://www.mouser.com/datasheet/2/4..._1-2568165.pdf

I also used a pair of these between the coupling cap and plate of the 6L6. I wonder if I should have used a higher V resistor?

Last edited by misterc57; 03-07-2022, 01:30 AM.

Comment

These are the (2) 220K (highlighted) I also replaced with these small resistors. I have everything buttoned up but now I wonder if these resistors with a 200V operating range should be changed?

Thank you

Click image for larger version

Name:	220K.png
Views:	134
Size:	103.6 KB
ID:	954617

Comment

Originally posted by misterc57 View Post
                These are the (2) 220K (highlighted) I also replaced with these small resistors. I have everything buttoned up but now I wonder if these resistors with a 200V operating range should be changed?
                I think the PI plates and power tube plates are roughly opposite phase. So yes, it would be a good idea to put a higher voltage rating resistor there.
                Originally posted by Enzo
                I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Those resistors look like 1/8W carbon film. Did you measure them at 220K ? The color code looks all wrong.
                  WARNING! Musical Instrument amplifiers contain lethal voltages and can retain them even when unplugged. Refer service to qualified personnel.
                  REMEMBER: Everybody knows that smokin' ain't allowed in school !

Comment

They are a small package resistor. They are 220K (measured) and they are 1/2 W. https://www.mouser.com/datasheet/2/4..._1-2568165.pdf

I will swap them out due to voltage rating.

Thank you

Comment

I have some of those tiny resistors (purchased accidentally). I never use them. I find them aesthetically unpleasing
                      "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
                      You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck H View Post
                        I have some of those tiny resistors (purchased accidentally). I never use them. I find them aesthetically unpleasing
                        I agree. I also did not realize what I was purchasing at the time.

Comment

Working...
                        X