5E3 Buzzing on some low notes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5E3 Buzzing on some low notes

My 5E3 build is buzzing or rattling on F# through A# on the E string. My thinking is that it is a capacitor or bad joint in the amp. Just not sure why it would just be those notes or where to start with fixing it. Not excited to just keep changing out parts until its fixed. I can play it soft enough that it won't rattle/buzz, but that's no fun.

Thinks I've Tried:
    *Different guitars produce pretty similar results. Single coil does this less quickly than filtertron
    *Speaker- I've had different speakers and different cabinets. I just installed a Eminence DV77 because of the tight low end. So I can't image that this is speaker "fart out" with it being a 75w ratted speaker.
    *Rattle Not the Speaker?- Same sound in different rooms. Placed amp on pillow to make sure it wasn't something rattling in the house.

Other Odd Things:
    *Weird Out of Tune Sound- I was getting a weird out of tune effect from the amp. Guitar string and intonation are correct. Read that this can be the filter caps. I changed those out. Effect is still present for the first minute or two of playing. It goes away after the amp warms up.
    *The Power Transformer is 290BX from Hammond. This gives it voltage closer to the original design's specks from Fender.

Tried a different power tube? Or holding it with a cloth to see if the rattle is affected? In general, preamp tubes get microphonic and squeal, power tubes rattle.
    Originally posted by Enzo
    I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Working...
    X