Ampeg Jet II J-12T Tremolo distortion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ampeg Jet II J-12T Tremolo distortion

Got one of these reissues that when you crank temolo intensity past half way the output has a nasty raspy distortion.

I had increased the cathode resistor from 120 to 200 ohms to lessen stress on the EL84's, but it still has this problem with the original value.

Any ideas?
    Attached Files

Hmmm, possibly because cranking the tremolo like doubles the voltage across the output tube cathode resistor?
    Limiting the tremolo signal with a resistor from the intensity pot to ground removes the distortion, and the bias voltage only increases a little.

So basically cranking trem intensity is causing twice the output tube current draw.

Comment

Originally posted by drewl View Post

So basically cranking trem intensity is causing twice the output tube current draw.
      That alone won't cause distortion.
      But a tremolo signal amplitude > 11V will cause distortion by grid conduction and cut-off.

- Own Opinions Only -

Comment

Scope the trem signal, scope the power tube grids. Is the trem signal hitting a wall anywhere? The schematic calls for 35v p-p at the plate of the trem tube. How does yours compare?

I recommend finding out what it happening rather than guessing and changing parts.
        Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

I'm seeing around 80v p-p at v1 pin 6.

Helmholtz, where would that 11v be?

Note: the amp had two 12AT7's in it I replaced them with the correct ax7's.

Comment

I believe what he is saying is that according to the drawing, the stock cathode resistor, you should have about 10.4v on the cathode, so 10.4v bias on the power tubes. If your trem signal exceeds that, it can cause grid conduction. If I am not mistaken that equates to a 22v p-p trem signal at the grids.
            Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Fascinating, any idea what could cause that?

Lowering the plate resistor to the tremolo amp lowers it's gain and also cures the problem.

Comment

Originally posted by drewl View Post
                Lowering the plate resistor to the tremolo amp lowers it's gain and also cures the problem.
                So you have 80V p-p where there should be 35?
                It says there should be 156VDC at the plate with pin7 grounded, did you check that?

Originally posted by Enzo
                I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Yes, the dc voltages of the trem oscillator are where they should be.
                  All the resistor values are okay.

Comment

Working...
                  X