Peavey TKO 115

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Peavey TKO 115

I have a Peavey TKO 115 (newer floor wedge type). A friend gave it to me to work on. The pots were scratchy. I thought maybe it was a simple fix so I took it in for repair. After struggling to get the chassis out, cleaning the pots with electrical contact cleaner, and bench testing it, I've notice a beeping sound coming from the circuit board. Also the amp wasn't passing a signal. I don't see a tiny speaker anywhere or any component that could be making that noise. So maybe I've knocked a solder connection loose? Maybe from a capacitor? I resoldered the connections on the main pcb and still got the same issue.

What era is this thing? I only know the TNT150 in the wedge form, and that was from 1989.

Iknow you said the sound came from th board, but was a speaker connected at the time? ANd if so, does disconnecting a speaker from it make the beeping stop?

Rollup a magazine or something into a tube. Hold it to your ear, and then aim it around the board, holding it close. That should act like a stethoscope to locate where the noise is coming from. Unless this is something made in the last few years that I don't know, I cannot imagine something beeping in there.

SO it used to work, then you cleaned it and stuff and now it doesn't, right? SO consider something you did caused the new problem. First guess is a cable connection on wrong. Usually PV makes things so you can't put the wrong cable on the wrong connector, but not always. And it is possible to put some connectors on but off a pin to one side or some such.. Speaker is usually blue and yellow wires. Make sure that is plugged into the right pin.

Does sound happen in the headphones?
    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

It is probably the Peavey Tour TKO 115
      It's not just an amp, it's an adventure!

Comment

Is there a cell phone nearby?

Amps pick up the noise of a phone pinging a tower, like holding a TV remote over a guitar pickup and pushing a button.

Comment

It still makes that beeping noise even with no speaker attached. It's making an alarm type sound as if it were a computer's motherboard.
          Enzo. I listened very carefully and it sounds like it's coming from a transformer on the board. I've seen transformers make noise before, but not like that.
          TomCarlos. Yes, that's exactly it.
          Drewl. The beeping noise is constant coming straight off the pcb. No, I don't have my phone nearby and the beeps are consistent.

Comment

GoldTop.... I do not want to send you on a wild goose chase, but take a look at the following posts on other sites and see if any of the items mentioned might apply here.

Strange Noise

Why does my guitar amp make a huge beeping noise

Try moving the amp to a different location.

Check to see if you have any electronic devices or even power surge protectors in the vicinity.

As Enzo suggested, try making some type of listening device to see if you can isolate a part that is causing the beep. In a pinch, a garden hose can act as a listening device: one end on your ear, the other to search for the noise source.
            It's not just an amp, it's an adventure!

Comment

Ah, the modern Tour series. I'd call that a kickback myself rather than wedge, but that's a nit pick.

I don't know the innards, but when it says light weight design, I'd suspect it has an SMPS, and one of those cycling could make such a noise. And it has tiny transformers too. On teh board. The old style TKO115 would have one large transformer not on the board.

Assuming SMPS for now. A shorted power amp could make it cycle. And in the SMPS itself, shorted rectifier diodes could.
              Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

I have a TKO Tour 115 and I am having the EXACT same problem with the beeping.I have it disassembled. The sound is coming from a cluster of capacitors on the board. No idea what is causing it. Can't find a schematic anywhere. Anyone know where I can get one online?

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9231 2.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	479.4 KB
ID:	958017

Comment

Working...
                X