Mesa 50/50

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mesa 50/50

Hello all. I have a mesa 50/50 tube power amp that's giving me issues. Under load for about an hour, it starts cutting out. It starts cutting out for a split second then increases in time. After it cools down, it works good again. I had the tubes all tested and some resistors replaces by a tech, but it is still doing it. Any ideas please?? Thanks

The ONLY reliable tube test is to put then min equipment. This is a stereo amp, right? When it cuts out do BOTH channels go away and come back at the exact same time?

Aside from testing them, have you tried different tubes in it?

When it cuts out, whack the amp hard on top with your fist. Does that bring it back? Does doing that make it cut out?

When it cuts out do any lights come on or go out? Like does teh power light blink pff too?
    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Yes, it's a stereo amp. Both channels are acting up, but not sure if it's at the same time. I'm running mesa tubes. Have not tried different tube. The power light is still on, without blinking. I didn't try banging on it. It's in a rack and I didn't think my extreme force wouldn't be enough to be felt on the inside.. lol.. thanks for your reply!

Comment

It's in a rack? Is it well ventilated?
        Originally posted by Enzo
        I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Yes, it's well ventilated and i just drilled a few more breather holes in the rack, right by the fan.

Comment

It doesn't need to be extreme force, just want to send a mechanical jolt through it. Most shops have a rubber mallet for such things, but my fist seems close enough. This test helps expose loose connections.

Use a wooden chopstick or other insulated thing, and tap on parts on the boards, looking for anything that reacts.
            Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Is this the correct schematic?
              https://schematicheaven.net/boogieamps/boogie_5050.pdf
              - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

Working...
              X