Reverb Tanks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reverb Tanks

Hi All, I'm wondering if there is any consensus as to what is the best currently made reverb tank to install as a replacement in my BF Fender amp (the old, original tank finally died) that does a reasonable job of sounding pretty close to the original reverb sound. I think I asked this question a while back when a few of these tanks first emerged on the market but they were too new as to develop a consensus of which one sounds best to replace in a Fender amp to get 'that sound'. I'm wondering if time has sorted out the wheat from chafe.
    Any and all opinions welcome. (yes, I know, I can buy a digital reverb pedal - I have a box full of them).
    Thanks,
    Bob M.

Digital are rubbish compared with the tone of a good tank.
    I find the 4AB3C1B for a long spring tank gives good results. The 4AB3C1B Spring Reverb Can 2-spring replaces Fender 022921 and 064063.
    Made by Belton.
    Support for Fender, Laney, Marshall, Mesa, VOX and many more. https://jonsnell.co.uk
    If you can't fix it, I probably can.

Comment

Hi Bob....

I have used both the Mod and Accutronics tanks with good success. You can find them on the Antique Electronic Supply web site. https://www.tubesandmore.com/products/reverb_tanks
      It's not just an amp, it's an adventure!

Comment

Yes, I'm aware of all the numbers, I guess I should've clarified my question as to the make/ manufacturer of the replacement reverb tank that would be the best sounding replacement for a 4AB3C1B 2-spring. I'm mostly concerned about sound over originality/ cosmetic looks.

TomCarlos, Do these two makes sound exactly the same to you? Do your prefer one over the other? Which make, in your opinion, sounds most Fender-like to you?

Thanks for the opinions,
        Bob M.

Comment

I've had good luck with the Mod tanks. What's wrong with yours? Did you check the wires from the RCA jacks to the transducers? They often break.
          "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

Originally posted by Bob M. View Post
            Yes, I'm aware of all the numbers, I guess I should've clarified my question as to the make/ manufacturer of the replacement reverb tank that would be the best sounding replacement for a 4AB3C1B 2-spring. I'm mostly concerned about sound over originality/ cosmetic looks.

TomCarlos, Do these two makes sound exactly the same to you? Do your prefer one over the other? Which make, in your opinion, sounds most Fender-like to you?

Thanks for the opinions,
            Bob M.
            Oh, that is a difficult question to answer. Each amp is unique. So it is hard to say that one tank sounds better than the other. I am not that picky. The most important thing is to make sure the tank is a replacement for an original.
            It's not just an amp, it's an adventure!

Comment

I've had better luck with the MOD tanks. But LUCK is the key word here. Even the MOD tanks can sound a bit off plum and be more prone to microphonics than what was available in the past. I've had mostly headaches and problems with Belton tanks. They either sound bad or won't behave most of the time. IMHE you should expect to purchase two or three tanks to get one that (still with some fussing) works and sounds good. YMMV and I hope it does in a positive direction.
              "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
              You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Reverb trays are straightforward to repair, with no special tools being necessary. Usually the fault is the output transducer going open, but broken suspensions can be fixed from donor parts, or by substitution with other materials. Springs sometimes break at the hollow rivet that joins certain types, but this is easily fixed. Over the past 15 years I've been doing this I've not come across one that wasn't fixable.

Comment

I normally have kept a stash of new transducers to replace broken ones but that's been extinguished over the years because these things love to break. I can fix most anything but when the hooks break off the transducers that hold the springs, it gets tougher. Even if one is able to fix this, the tank usually doesn't sound as good as before. I am very picky about the reverb sound these tanks make. Once you have a very good one, there's no turning back.

Thanks for your comments. It seems a sad state of affairs if one must buy two or three tanks to get one good one. Wonder who their quality control officer is and if he's off playing golf most days instead of slaving over a hot reverb tank.

Re: Misbehaving reverb tanks (which there are many) - I've heard there is now a charm school for misbehaving reverb tanks in Switzerland, but it's expensive.

Bob M.
                  Last edited by Bob M.; 03-26-2022, 07:37 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob M. View Post
                    I am very picky about the reverb sound these tanks make. Once you have a very good one, there's no turning back.
                    You are not alone. For customers like you, especially with the value of some of the old Fenders, I would pack it up and send it to Mick for repair. Especially if it needed coil rewinding.
                    Originally posted by Enzo
                    I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

It is often overlooked that the little cylindrical ferrite beads are actually magnets, having their magnetic north and south poles at opposing cylinder sides.
                      The orientation of the magnet poles (i.e. the magnetic axis) relative to the transducer core influences reverb intensity and sound.
                      So when repairing a broken suspension, some tweaking of the magnet's orientation (by twisting the suspension wire) will be required to optimize response.
                      As this procedure means resoldering the suspension wire several times, it can get cumbersome.
                      It's best to identify and mark the magnet poles before soldering.
                      North and south poles should preferably face the inner sides of the core.
                      Last edited by Helmholtz; 03-25-2022, 11:35 PM.
                      - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

Originally posted by Helmholtz View Post
                        As this procedure means resoldering the suspension wire several times, it can get cumbersome.
                        It seems to me there is some critical damping material (foam?) inside those supspension 'tubes' that can melt from the heat?
                        Originally posted by Enzo
                        I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Originally posted by g1 View Post
                          It seems to me there is some critical damping material (foam?) inside those supspension 'tubes' that can melt from the heat?
                          Yes, it's easy to spoil the rubber damping tube or melt plastic parts of the suspension. So one has to be quick.
                          Knowing where the poles are, helps.
                          Nevertheless I don't like the job.
                          - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

Here's the original Hammond patent:
                            https://patentimages.storage.googlea.../US3106610.pdf

See column 3, line 34, for magnet orientation.
                            Last edited by Helmholtz; 03-26-2022, 12:35 AM.
                            - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

Yes, in my shop I have a box of old non-working reverb tanks (Gibbs, Hammond, Accutronics), a box of open transducers and a box of reverb springs as I'm sure many of you do also. It would be a labor of love to re-wind the transducers and reconnect the suspension hooks/ferrite beads, a fair amount of time involved but not much financial reward at the end with no guarantee of a world-class sounding tank. Does anyone know of a current source for reverb tank transducers?

So, this is why I'm interested in what people think is the best sounding tank (in a Fender amp) of the currently manufactured bunch now.

Thanks for your comments.
                              Bob M.
                              Last edited by Bob M.; 03-26-2022, 07:38 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X