Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ODD Request....install 0.1uF cap in series with Guitar Jack inputs to preamp tubes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ODD Request....install 0.1uF cap in series with Guitar Jack inputs to preamp tubes

This past month, while what began as a simple minor mechanical fix to the Power and Standby Switches on a Hiwatt Little Rig head, they decided a 0.1uF film cap was necessary in series with the input grid of the 1st tube stage of their amp. I did notice from their photos they had mistakenly eliminated the 1M Grid Bias resistor to those tubes, so they corrected that, but still insisting that that cap is necessary. Strange.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Input Jack Wiring-9.jpg
Views:	304
Size:	1.02 MB
ID:	958767 Click image for larger version

Name:	Input Jack Wiring-8.jpg
Views:	299
Size:	1.41 MB
ID:	958769

I've not seen this needed before, and don't find it on any of the conventional Tube Amps we all work on. Claimed to prevent what tiny DC potential there is at the grid from going back to the guitar. The Volume control that follows this tube stage, in their 1/2W Output setting, you can hear the volume control making noise. This was their 'fix'. Oh well......that's what was requested.
    Attached Files
    Logic is an organized way of going wrong with confidence

That just seems silly. I guess it would further protect against DC offset from a driving pedal or active guitar, but how often do we run into that problem?

Comment

I agree, that's just goofy.
      "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

There are primitive guitar amps that have grounded cathode preamps, and block DC offset generated at grid from the guitar by passing the signal thru a capacitor. There's always a resistor from control grid to ground too, typically 1M to 5Mohms. Just worked on an early 50's Fender Pro a couple days ago, had that circuit.
        This isn't the future I signed up for.

Comment

A low plate Voltage on a preamp tube causes grid current. If the 1/2W mode messes with the B+ in the preamp, that's why the cap becomes necessary.
          WARNING! Musical Instrument amplifiers contain lethal voltages and can retain them even when unplugged. Refer service to qualified personnel.
          REMEMBER: Everybody knows that smokin' ain't allowed in school !

Comment

Are the cathodes grounded or is there a resistor there?

Comment

Originally posted by mozz View Post
              Are the cathodes grounded or is there a resistor there?
              Each have 2.2k resistors. The Brilliant Ch has a 47nF cap across it, noting on the other input channel.

Comment

Originally posted by loudthud View Post
                A low plate Voltage on a preamp tube causes grid current. If the 1/2W mode messes with the B+ in the preamp, that's why the cap becomes necessary.
                As of yet, I still don't have a schematic on the 1/2W Power Mode. It does lower the power supply level....might just be on the output stage, though. I'm only going to have this amp here for another couple days so I might get a chance to look further.

I agree....strange to see input caps suddenly put into the product. They don't do that on any of the other products.

Comment

Grounded cathodes. Look up "grid leak bias".
                  Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Insurance against gassy tubes, or as speculated above, B+ manipulation for 1/2 power mode possibly.
                    But I'd definitely want a high value resistor to ground on the other side of the cap rather than leaving it floating during pedal switching, that's just asking for pops to be louder than necessary. 10Meg would solve that.

Comment

Originally posted by loudthud View Post
                      Good call. I just finished up with the last mod's on this amp, and powered it back up. The 1/2W Output Mode both lowers the Output Stage supply voltages as well as the Preamp stages.

The Preamp supplies drop from 237VDC down to 108VDC in the low power mode. Plate voltage on the input tube drops from 130VDC to 66VDC, and the voltage at the input grids change from -0.7mVDC to -0.7VDC. I hadn't noticed that, nor looked at the voltages on the amp, not having a schematic for it....a project that might have happened at some point.

I just looked at the other Little Rig amp, which doesn't have this mod, and the 1/2W Output mode has -0.4VDC & -0.2VDC on the input jacks, which then drop to less than 0.7mVDC in the 20W mode.

Greg Robinson suggested adding 1M to 10M at the input jacks ahead of the coupling caps to discharge them. I plugged my Fluke DMM into the jacks and powered it up in both power modes, and it has a 10M input resistance. You'll still see charging voltage pulse that does drop down...still in the moderate mV range until it fully discharges to 0VDC.

So, that does justify the input caps that I was told to add, as they have just made that change at the new factory up in Canada.
                      Last edited by nevetslab; 04-21-2022, 09:30 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Greg Robinson View Post
                        Insurance against gassy tubes, or as speculated above, B+ manipulation for 1/2 power mode possibly.
                        But I'd definitely want a high value resistor to ground on the other side of the cap rather than leaving it floating during pedal switching, that's just asking for pops to be louder than necessary. 10Meg would solve that.
                        Good suggestion on that. I'll pass that along to them.

Comment

Working...
                        X