• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marshall 1962 Bluesbreaker (JTM 45) Reissue Hum

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20220422-180653.png
Views:	371
Size:	272.1 KB
ID:	958971 Need to bias power tubes and locate hum. Not able to record due to hum. 5881s reading(30mA/21mA) w/eurotubes bias probe. See a video on YouTube that guy is rotating power transformer to be facing like original jtm45. Says marshall designed incorrectly and is causing hum. Would like some opinions on that video. Thanks.

Originally posted by ca7922303 View Post
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20220422-180653.png
Views:	371
Size:	272.1 KB
ID:	958971 Need to bias power tubes and locate hum. Not able to record due to hum. 5881s reading(30mA/21mA) w/eurotubes bias probe. See a video on YouTube that guy is rotating power transformer to be facing like original jtm45. Says marshall designed incorrectly and is causing hum. Would like some opinions on that video. Thanks.
    https://youtu.be/UbynIuLdIuo

Comment

Originally posted by ca7922303 View Post
      5881s reading(30mA/21mA) w/eurotubes bias probe.
      Swap the power tubes around and see if the higher reading stays with the tube, or the socket.

Originally posted by Enzo
      I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Originally posted by g1 View Post
        Swap the power tubes around and see if the higher reading stays with the tube, or the socket.
        Swapped 5881s, (30mA) reading stays with tube.

Comment

Do you have a better matched pair? Try the 6L6's that matched up same in the Ampeg R-12.
          Originally posted by Enzo
          I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

If your output valves, push pull in this case, are not balanced, hum will be in the background or forefront, depending how far out of balance they are.
            Always fit a matched pair.
            Support for Fender, Laney, Marshall, Mesa, VOX and many more. https://jonsnell.co.uk
            If you can't fix it, I probably can.

Comment

Do any controls affect the hum?
              Remove the valve in V1, what effect does that have on the hum?
              Repeat for V2, then V3.

Unless you enjoy stressing the rectifier valve, avoid using the stupid hot switching standby.

https://el34world.com/charts/Schemat...e_45w_1962.pdf
              My band:- http://www.youtube.com/user/RedwingBand

Comment

Originally posted by g1 View Post
                Do you have a better matched pair? Try the 6L6's that matched up same in the Ampeg R-12.
                Installed 2-6L6s both reading (32mA).

Comment

Originally posted by pdf64 View Post
                  Do any controls affect the hum?
                  Remove the valve in V1, what effect does that have on the hum?
                  Repeat for V2, then V3.

Unless you enjoy stressing the rectifier valve, avoid using the stupid hot switching standby.

https://el34world.com/charts/Schemat...e_45w_1962.pdf
                  With no signal to inputs, presence is only control having any effect on hum. On zero is scratchiness, at 10 it's it's full treble. Have sprayed pot with contact cleaner and worked pot.
                  V1 removed-no effect V2 removed-no hum but presence pot still scratches
                  V3 removed-no hum, no issue with presence pot

Comment

Presence is always scratchy in such circuits, ie that put DC voltage across the pot. So not a repair / maintenance issue.

Has a known good valve been swapped into V2?
                    My band:- http://www.youtube.com/user/RedwingBand

Comment

Presence is always scratchy in such circuits, ie that put DC voltage across the pot. So not a repair / maintenance issue.

I did swap a good 12ax7 @,V2 and hum about the same.

Comment

Filter caps?

Comment

If you are following the schematic from EL34world, it is incorrect around the NFB tone control and more than likely, in other places.
                          Click image for larger version  Name:	Correct diagramme.png Views:	0 Size:	42.3 KB ID:	959072 Click image for larger version  Name:	Incorrect diagramme.png Views:	0 Size:	86.8 KB ID:	959073
                          Is the hum mains frequency or twice mains frequency. At least with that information we can determine whether mains hum or smoothing hum.
                          Support for Fender, Laney, Marshall, Mesa, VOX and many more. https://jonsnell.co.uk
                          If you can't fix it, I probably can.

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Snell View Post
                            If you are following the schematic from EL34world, it is incorrect around the NFB tone control and more than likely, in other places.
                            Click image for larger version Name:	Correct diagramme.png Views:	0 Size:	42.3 KB ID:	959072 Click image for larger version Name:	Incorrect diagramme.png Views:	0 Size:	86.8 KB ID:	959073
                            Is the hum mains frequency or twice mains frequency. At least with that information we can determine whether mains hum or smoothing hum.
                            I believe it to be 60hz by comparing it to an audio sample online.

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Snell View Post
                              Click image for larger version Name:	Correct diagramme.png Views:	0 Size:	42.3 KB ID:	959072 Click image for larger version Name:	Incorrect diagramme.png Views:	0 Size:	86.8 KB ID:	959073
                              What do you make of the thought that turning the power transformer to jtm45 original position can lower the hum?

Comment

Working...
                              X