Sony Tc-366

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sony Tc-366

I picked up a Sony Reel to Reel it seems to play ok but have noticed the Left VU meter is pegging out the right one bounces around to the music but does not peg out.

Never ever having played with one I'm not sure if I have a problem or not Any suggestions?
    Thanks
    Jason
    Attached Files
    soldering stuff that's broken, breaking stuff that works, Yeah!

Do you mean it stays pegged all the time, or it is just showing hotter signal than the other side?
    If it's just showing hotter level, turn the tape around and see if it stays with the meter.
    Originally posted by Enzo
    I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Yes it is a hotter signal. Not to sound ignorant but by turning it around just putting the reel on the left side on the right side switching them?
      nosaj

Comment

For clarity, do both meters sit at '0' when the tape isn't running and there is no signal applied?
        "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

Yes both at zero with no signal.
          nosaj

Comment

I'm not completely familiar with that machine, but on some you can monitor the inputs independently of heads. If that's the case, see if it does the same thing with an identical signal into both L&R inputs. That would help you decide if it's a meter circuit problem, or a tape/head/ etc. problem.

Comment

Originally posted by nosaj View Post
              but by turning it around just putting the reel on the left side on the right side switching them?
              nosaj
              Yes. So that the actual sound would be heard backwards. But L side is now at R head, so if one side was recorded hotter, it should now show hotter on the other meter.

edit: I'm assuming this is a 2 track machine.
              I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Clean the record/playback contacts. A very common issue with all tape and cassette recorders.
                Support for Fender, Laney, Marshall, Mesa, VOX and many more. https://jonsnell.co.uk
                If you can't fix it, I probably can.

Comment

ok I cleaned all 3 heads and it reduced it quite a bit its not hitting the red section now. Still about a unit off from the R VU meter.
                  I flipped the tape around and the left meter is still higher than the Right side.
                  I did notice on rewinding or FF I had to hand bump the wheel to get it going. So i'm thinking may need to lube the motor?

Thanks guys
                  nosaj

Comment

It's more likely an idler tire, belt, or other rubber. The first thing would be to either clean, rejuvenate, or replace any rubber parts. They are usually the first to go on any deck.

Comment

There will be calibration trimmers for the meters, playback levels etc.. But first you want to make sure the signal path is all good through the various switches like Jon mentioned.

Comment

Whats the consensus on using denatured alcohol on rubber parts.

nosaj

Comment

Denatured? I use isopropyl to just wipe them clean, but it doesn't rejuvenate. The volatile hydrocarbons do that.
                          Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Working...
                          X