GPM8023 8-pin SOIC 5V Regulator in Soundcraft Signature 22 Mixer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GPM8023 8-pin SOIC 5V Regulator in Soundcraft Signature 22 Mixer

Yesterday I took in a Soundcraft Signature 22 22-Channel Mixer that failed after a short-term Power Outage. I've never seen this model before. Unit is around 6 yrs old. The IEC Power Connector is on the inside space of the Tilt Block at the back of the board, and, there is NO Power ON/Off Switch. Plug it in and for get it...remains on as long as there's power.

Guess that changed with this power outage, as it hasn't powered back up. When I plugged it in on my Check-out Bench, I got no Power Consumption reading and saw the Pilot Light flickering at a slow rate, along with the signal activity lights on the stereo buss. Indicative of the SMPS trying to start but couldn't.

I pulled the bottom pan off, then extracted the SMPS from the pan. Nothing immediately obvious.

After writing up the work order and sending the client off, I checked all of the discrete semiconductors, which all tested fine. There are two SOIC packaged 8-pin SMD IC's... a UC3842A and a GPM8023.

This morning, I called Harman International to see if I could purchase a replacement power supply for the mixer. P/N 5071878-01.V Or, 5071878-02.V, being the latest revision. Back Ordered, not due in until early June, built in Hungary. $85.70 + tax/shpg. Placed the order for that.

I found I already had the UC3842 data sheet in my files, and had a couple on hand, but....they were 8-pin DIP. I then looked to see what I could find on this GPM8023. No such luck on that.

That part appears to be the 5VDC Regulator for the logic circuits on the mixer.

I connected a 300 ohm/5W resistor across the +/- 15VDC Outputs on the bottom side of the PCB, as I don't have any mating connectors for the 9-pin shrouded white header plug. Connected my DMM across the resistor which, if the supplies ARE +/- 30V, would yield 100mA. Plugged it into my switched outlet connected to my variac/power analyzer, and switched it on. I got 46VDC across the resistor spanning the +/- 15V terminals on the back side. AC Mains wattage was 14W. Turned it off, dug up a pair of EZ Microhook test leads, and clipped onto the 5V output and it's ground. Got 0.128VDC. Not a good sign. Clipped onto the +48V terminal, and got +48VDC. I tacked on a second 300 ohm resistor across the +/- 15V supply, and now got 40VDC ,pulling 16W. So, the front end of the SMPS IS working. Still no output from the 5V circuit. I loaded the +/- 30V supply with a pair of 40 ohm/50W power resistors in series, leaving the 300 ohm resistor in place, and now that dropped the bipolar supply voltage to 36VDC. So, I'd conclude each channel or group of channels have local +/- 15V Regulators. The 48V circuit remains steady.

But, the problem appears to be this GPM8023. Searching for this part has led me to a post in Gearspace.com, where the last page on the topic of problems with the Soundcraft Signature series mixer appears to be this unavailable GPM8023. No data sheet, no apparent direct-replacement for it, and has been the main problem with this product series.

No idea what is on the SMPS that I just ordered. I wasn't able to get onto Gearspace...perhaps due to my searching on an XP machine with Mozila Firefox browser. I was able to scroll the last page reading nobody having any success in finding these parts or substitute for them.

Anyone have a data sheet, details on the GPM8023 or a substitute for it?
    Logic is an organized way of going wrong with confidence

Try the LTM8023.
    Step down regulator.
    Attached Files

Comment

Plenty here; https://www.worldwayelec.com/pro/sl-...pm8023/4196334

Check the electrolytics first!
      Last edited by Jon Snell; 05-04-2022, 06:45 AM.
      Support for Fender, Laney, Marshall, Mesa, VOX and many more. https://jonsnell.co.uk
      If you can't fix it, I probably can.

Comment

Can you post a close-up photo of the chip?

edit: Looking at this page CX8509 is suggested as a replacement.

https://www.elektroda.pl/rtvforum/topic3785024.html

CX8509-CoreMicroTechnology.pdf
        Last edited by dmeek; 05-04-2022, 02:50 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jazz P Bass View Post
          Try the LTM8023.
          Step down regulator.
          I had looked at this regulator, only the PCB is laid out for the SOIC 8-pin SMD package. I'm now about to check what the load current is of the mixer by powering up the 5V buss with a lab supply, and then possibly cobbling a 3-terminal regulator onto the PCB.. I'll have photos of the SMPS later today.

Comment

Originally posted by dmeek View Post
            Can you post a close-up photo of the chip?

edit: Looking at this page CX8509 is suggested as a replacement.

https://www.elektroda.pl/rtvforum/topic3785024.html

[ATTACH]n959664[/ATTACH]
            This looks like the package. I'll have to look to see what the SMD resistor values are that surround the GPM8023 are when I get in to the shop. Many thanks! Photos to follow

Comment

I now have a number of photos of this SMPS assembly. I haven't yet removed the output filter cap C119 220uF/16V on the 5VDC Regulator to see if that part has failed.

Click image for larger version  Name:	SMPS-1.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1,000.0 KB ID:	959678 Click image for larger version  Name:	SMPS-19.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.27 MB ID:	959680 Click image for larger version  Name:	SMPS-14.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.07 MB ID:	959682

Click image for larger version  Name:	SMPS-16.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.06 MB ID:	959684 Click image for larger version  Name:	SMPS-6.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.19 MB ID:	959686 Click image for larger version  Name:	SMPS-4.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.10 MB ID:	959688

The PCB appears to be multilayer, as I wasn't able to find the output trace from U102 5V regulator to the output header at the end of the PCB. Shining light on top & bottom of the PCB sort of revealed a faint appearance of a wide trace below the surface. So, as it goes with multilayer PCB's, desoldring caps to check them out can get dicey.

I now at least have images to refer to in reviewing this GPM8023 and the Core Micro Technology CX8509 to see if the values used with the GPM8023 and their circuit positions coincide with that of this CX8509. I'd be thrilled if the problem was just the output cap C119 having failed. I'll have to look thru the multiple pages I found on this Signature series Soundcraft mixer over on gearspace.com, as this GPM8023 appears to be a problem on this SMPS.

I just went thru the photo images and the PCB layout with a light source shining thru from the bottom, and comparing the Chip layout to the Pinout for the CX8509 IC, this looks like the same circuit pattern. I used the Vout calculations based on the part values I see installed on the SM resistors, and get 5.03V as the calculated output value. Same recommended start-up resistor, similar compensation values. This supply isn't using the expensive large value Ceramic caps for output filters, but if this GPM8023 has indeed failed, if the CX8509 is available, that would appear to be a viable substitute chip.

Thanks, dmeek!
              Attached Files
              Last edited by nevetslab; 05-04-2022, 07:40 PM.

Comment

After briefly feeling good that I found a data sheet that appeared to be form-fit-function to the GPM8023 Buck Regulator, I find no resources for this Core Micro Technology CX8509 part. I've looked at a number of SOIC-8 packaged regulators from various companies, but none are the same form factor.

I just replaced the 220uF/16V Output filter cap and the input cps (100uF/50V), all 105 deg C rated, and loaded the output with 47 ohms/1W and 300 ohms/5W so there'd be load on the supply. Still just seeing 0.13VDC on the output of the 5V regulator.

I haven't yet removed the bottom pan of the mixer so I can plug in an interface header and feed 5VDC on in to see what the current draw is. I think all I have on hand are 7805T 3-terminal regulators. There's 16VDC input to the regulator.

Comment

Originally posted by nevetslab View Post
                  I find no resources for this Core Micro Technology CX8509 part. I've looked at a number of SOIC-8 packaged regulators from various companies, but none are the same form factor.
                  Jotrin says they have stock. I have no idea if they are a reliable source.

Originally posted by Enzo
                  I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

It could just be the pictures, but both of those brown electrolytics look bulged to me.
                    "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

Originally posted by The Dude View Post
                      It could just be the pictures, but both of those brown electrolytics look bulged to me.
                      The pair of 100uF/25V caps? They looked fine, but I did replace them with a pair of 100uF/50V Nichicon PW series (105 deg C). Didn't make any difference with regards to that GPM8023. I ended up removing that part, but managed to damage the traces for Pins 5 & 6. No matter. I can recover from that and still install another IC if I can pick one up.

Jotrin, huh? I don't know who they are, but will look into that. Thanks, g1!

Comment

This morning, while still waiting to see of Jotrin replies to my inquiry about their CX8509 Buck Regulator, I removed the output choke from the 5V supply, which gave me room to scrape off the solder mask of the Output Buss and Input Buss to the 5V regulator IC pattern. I shaped the leads of a 7805T 3-terminal IC regulator to get tack-soldered into place. Then put the inductor back into the output path for the 5V supply buss.

I had first moved the Soundcraft mixer to sit atop the Fender Super Bassman, now occupying the check-out bench (got help from AuntieM's Equipment Rental truck driver when he came over Tuesday to pick up all the gear repaired from the Cochella Music Festival). I moved my 0-16V/0-10A DC Kikisui Power Supply along with my HP 6227B Dual Tracking 0-25V/0-2A supply over. I removed the bottom cover of the mixer, moved the power supply connector cable to dangle out the back, and put the bottom cover back into place so I could turn the mixer right-side up and connect the lab supplies to a 9-pin mating male header pin to connect the bipolar 15V supplies and the 5V supply. That let me power up the mixer, which came to life just fine. The bipolar 15V supplies draw around 1.1A, while the 5V Logic supply only draws around 500mA. Played around with the mixer to see if I could get more current to pull from the 5V supply, but it seemed to remain around that level.

So, that seemed adequate for a 3-terminal 5V regulator.

When I connected the SMPS to the ribbon cable and switched the supply on (external Switched AC box between Variac/Power Analyzer and the SMPS board running the mixer), I didn't get any current draw....well, it was maybe 30mA. The supply wouldn't start up.

I disconnected the SMPS, moved it to my test bench, soldered the 300 ohm resistor across the bipolar supplies for a 100mA load, and tried powering it up with just that. It came up fine, as did the 5V regulator. OK. Seems like the SMPS will NOT start up with a 1.1A Load on the bipolar 15V supplies. I connected a 32 ohm load (series-connected four 8 ohm/200W resistors and placed those across the 300 ohm resistor tack-soldered across the bottom of the SMPS PCB. It wouldn't start up with that load. So, that says the controller IC UC3842A isn't booting up either with the nominal mixer load.

Don't need no CX8509 IC regulator now. I need the replacement SMPS power supply. Which I ordered on Tuesday. Ah, well..........a noble attempt at any rate. And, perhaps a waste of time, seeing as I got no success.
                        Last edited by nevetslab; 05-06-2022, 05:51 AM.

Comment

I bypassed the 8023 SOP-8 with a $15 DC-DC Buck converter, worked brilliantly, with an improvement in peak to peak v.
                          Pics and details in the MTK Group on FB.

Comment

Originally posted by nevetslab View Post
                            Don't need no CX8509 IC regulator now. I need the replacement SMPS power supply. Which I ordered on Tuesday. Ah, well..........a noble attempt at any rate. And, perhaps a waste of time, seeing as I got no success.
                            I for one am envious of your determination. I'm often repulsed by my own lack of gumption.

Comment

Originally posted by glebert View Post

I for one am envious of your determination. I'm often repulsed by my own lack of gumption.
                              The difference between career and hobby.
                              nosaj
                              Mine is hobby
                              soldering stuff that's broken, breaking stuff that works, Yeah!

Comment

Working...
                              X