Ampeg GS-15R Gemini VI

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by g1 View Post
    For matched tubes that seems a bit far out. Check with meter that resistance of balance pot is roughly same on each side when set to middle.
    Also recheck that screen grid voltages (pin4 & 8) are same for both tubes.
    Then swap tubes around and see if readings follow tubes.
    By 'far out' you mean the price of tubes? Get used to it, thanks Mr Putin...
    I checked the balance pot before installation & middle setting gave close to 50 ohms each side.
    Screen grids are both at 483V - I really think I have 1 bad tube, last time I swapped them the redplating followed the tube.
    As adjusted now are 38 & 35mV - close enough?

Sorry for the delay getting back, I've been doing a lot of volunteer work at the local Church camp to get it ready for opening. Best excuse ever for my tardiness?
    I'm not old - I'm vintage

Comment

With the pot set roughly middle and only 3mA difference between tubes, that is a pretty good match. How is the hum volume?
      Originally posted by Enzo
      I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

The pot is nowhere near middle, as I said in post #69 I could get one thing or another, so I went for close plate current. Using only a signal generator, not a guitar, negligible hum.

Comment

Originally posted by mtlbasslad View Post
          . Using only a signal generator, not a guitar, negligible hum.
          You can't blame the amp for additional hum when connecting a guitar.

Why did you connect a signal generator?

No more redplating?
          - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

I use a signal generator because it's easier than moving a guitar to the shop. No hum complaints. No more redplating, I think I have one bad tube.

Comment

No hum complaints. No more redplating, I think I have one bad tube.
              Why a bad tube if everything works fine now?
              I see no signs of a bad tube. The previously redplating tube probably just has more gain (actually transconductance Gm) than the other one.

As power tube balancing and hum assessment don't require a signal, did you use the signal generator to measure power output?
              - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

I did not use the signal generator to measure power output - measured plate current. I don't really understand your question... how does a sig gen measure power uotput?

Comment

To measure power output, there needs to be a signal being amplified. A signal generator is often used for such a signal.
                  Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Originally posted by Enzo View Post
                    To measure power output, there needs to be a signal being amplified. A signal generator is often used for such a signal.
                    That makes sense, but how am I measuring power output?

Comment

- measured plate current.
                      You don't want a signal when measuring plate idle current.

- Own Opinions Only -

Comment

I think we are talking past one another. You need a signal to measure power, but if you are not measuring power, then you don't Idle current is just that, at idle, NO signal. Idle current and output power are not the same tests.
                        Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

That makes sense, but how am I measuring power output?
                          To measure power output you connect a sine generator to the input and a dummy load of rated resistance and power to the output and scope the output.
                          With all amp controls fully up, input signal level is adjusted until the output signal just starts to clip.
                          Output RMS voltage squared divided by load resistance gives output power.
                          Last edited by Helmholtz; 06-24-2022, 11:13 PM.
                          - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

Originally posted by Helmholtz View Post

To measure power output you connect a sine generator to the input and a dummy load of rated resistance to the output and scope the output.
                            With all amp controls fully up, input signal level is adjusted until the output signal just starts to clip.
                            Output RMS voltage squared divided by load resistance gives output power.
                            No dummy load available here, just a speaker.

Comment

OK, time to close out this post. I ordered new TungSol tubes of which one was giving off fireworks... got a new set and everything is good - 'balance' pot is near the middle & I calculate (thanks for that g1) plate current at 32mA.
                              No redplating & with a really good guitarist playing the amp sounds really fine.
                              So I would like to thank all who helped me here, & I will be contributing to the forum again.
                              Until next time - think I'll have a new post about the famous (infamous?) Peavey Classic 30...

Comment

Working...
                              X