Bassbreaker 30r schematic plz

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bassbreaker 30r schematic plz

looking for schematic for this amp. Also what's the zener doing in this circuit? looking for schematic for this amp. Also what's the zener doing in this circuit? It parallels the cathode resistor/cap.

It’s a 30v Zener, so it will basically be “off” until the cathode reaches 30v. That’s 125mA through one 240R cathode resistor. It depends on how many EL84’s are feeding that cathode resistor. One EL84 would vaporise at 125mA, but 4 x EL84’s would be about 30mA per tube at idle. Very hot, but the Zener could provide a limit to the current through the tubes. The Zener can only tolerate about 40mA before it finds its maker. I’d just clip the Zener out, as I did on a Blues Breaker 15 with a dead zener. It worked just fine without it.
    I’d be interested to hear other comments or suggestions as to the Zener's purpose.

Comment

It is a 30volt 5Watt zener and designed to fail short circuit if overloaded.
      This ensures the faulty valve that caused the issue will blow the HT fuse quickly and avoid a possible fire hazard from burning resistors and decoupling capacitor damage.
      No service manual yet, too new but it's only an amplifier based on the Bluesbreaker 15 so can't be difficult to repair after all.
      Under new legislation, all electronic and electrical items of a reasonable value MUST be repairable by engineers, after the warranty period has expired.
      Support for Fender, Laney, Marshall, Mesa, VOX and many more. https://jonsnell.co.uk
      If you can't fix it, I probably can.

Comment

Originally posted by christarak View Post
        Very hot, but the Zener could provide a limit to the current through the tubes. The Zener can only tolerate about 40mA before it finds its maker.
        No, the zener doesn't limit tube current.
        Zener current can be up to 160mA and in case of a shorting tube it will likely fail short as Jon Snell reports.

- Own Opinions Only -

Comment

Thanks for all the help, it's much appreciated. The diode was in fact shorting, just got a small supply of the diodes, now to get the tube board out, jeez!
          Last edited by JMMP; 05-14-2022, 05:14 PM.

Comment

So you had a shorting tube?
            - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

Yes, shorted and took the fuse as well. New el84 set installed, tested, all proper.

Comment

Seems like a very strange but somehow clever safety mechanism. Tube shorting? Well, then short it completely. Hate to think what happens if someone puts a 20A fuse in there.

Comment

Originally posted by Helmholtz View Post

No, the zener doesn't limit tube current.
                  Zener current can be up to 160mA and in case of a shorting tube it will likely fail short as Jon Snell reports.
                  Thanks Helmholtz, I didn't take into account that its a 5w zener (Imax of 5/30). If the combined current through the four EL84's (assuming they shared one cathode resistor) caused the cathode voltage to reach 30v wouldn't that grid to cathode voltage then effectively be a "fixed bias of 30v"? Yes, it's a very cold bias for EL84s, but I'd be interested to understand if it would be possible to have a cathode biased output stage convert from cathode bias to "fixed bias" by addng a Zener of say 12V..
                  Another question, how do we know that the diode won't fail open? I guess if it does, it's no better or worse than not having the diode at all.
                  Thanks mate!

Comment

Originally posted by christarak View Post

Thanks Helmholtz, I didn't take into account that its a 5w zener (Imax of 5/30). If the combined current through the four EL84's (assuming they shared one cathode resistor) caused the cathode voltage to reach 30v wouldn't that grid to cathode voltage then effectively be a "fixed bias of 30v"? Yes, it's a very cold bias for EL84s, but I'd be interested to understand if it would be possible to have a cathode biased output stage convert from cathode bias to "fixed bias" by addng a Zener of say 12V..
                    Another question, how do we know that the diode won't fail open? I guess if it does, it's no better or worse than not having the diode at all.
                    Thanks mate!
                    It looks as if each EL84 has its own zener. I think they were added to pass safety regulation.
                    The semiconductor manufacturer will have to guarantee that the zeners don't fail open.

Regarding your biasing questions I suggest that you start a new thread in "Theory&Design" to not derail this one.
                    - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

I have a 30r that I bought used a couple of years ago and it fizzes (for lack of a better term) for a minute or so as it warms up (without fail - every time). It eventually stops, and the amp plays fine. One of my buddies suggested a tube was going bad (I'm not an amp tech at all, though I'm not afraid of getting my fingers dirty...safely anyway). Would anyone here know if the 30r is self-biasing? I.e., can I replace all tubes (the EL84s and the AX7s), turn it on, and not have a problem?

Comment

Reviving this thread as I've just had one of these in with a blown mains fuse. Shorted EL84 took out the Zener but I was getting around 50 ohms on that EL84 pairs cathode to ground. Turns out the Zener had failed and was reading around 50 ohms... this meant that that pair of EL84's was biasing up at over 150% plate dissipation. Good job the owner brought it in rather that just whacking some new valves in!

I'm tempted to just remove the Zeners altogether

Comment

I had one in a couple months ago with a blown fuse, bad power tube, and the zener D13 (1N5366B, 39V 5W) was shorted as well.

Comment

Working...
                          X